newer question - suggestions for cureable rubbers for pads?

nym

ok! so i'm under way finally with this drum mold. it's 2:20 right now san francisco time and i can't sleep because ideas are flying through my head. i'm getting so excited i can barely function, all i ever talk about anymore is sensors, resistivity, rubber, and midi.

so my question is this - what kind of rubber would you recommend for molded drum pads? what shore hardness? anyone got any store preferrably in the US for liquid rubber that would be good? or just some specs/type of rubber to look for?

looking for something thatll hold up, not get compressed over time and use, and which will cure nicely. soft is good. i'm thinking maybe even softer than the original mpc drum pads, but i'd like to get some voices on this one from yall

thanks again for your help

the nymod is under way. between the pad Solution and the Eyepatch (see design) the little mpc is going to explode, and not in the bad way.

i don't think you can go much wrong with silicon really nym, it's pretty tough stuff now (used to tear as soon as you looked at it!). as for rubber type, the RTV is best to go for, otherwise you're talking about heat curing, or heated peroxide curing (the latter is good if you want your nickname to change to goldilocks) which may or may not be feasable at your facility  ;)  hardness id say around 20-40 shore A hardness for mpc like pads, though 12-15 may do if you're after somethng more squidgey. i made some buttons with 12, and though they were a little soft to start with, they've firmed up now, and are similar to tv remote buttons. personally i'd go for slightly harder than 12 though.

http://www.artmolds.com/category60.cfm

great. i'm probably gonna go for some stuff i found that's got good tear resistability, 28A shore hardness. i'm also gonna make the pads themselves thicker - forat and others did that for the 3000 back in the day and people really liked it.

modnar, did you move from the 1k because of the pad issues?

i'd love to get you back on the team

the RTV is best to go for

I agrre, i've do some test and the result is great, but what is difficult here is not the pads itself but to do the the appropriate pcb (with resistive contact) (as I know you will be obliged to ask some pro manufacturer and it's quiet expensive) and in MPC or MV stuff, all the pads are joined together in one part (pads must be correctly attached)- it's hard to do a mold for such a big piece......it's why I've stopped my tests.. In fact , now you can find some second hand M-Audio Trigger pads device (or akai mpd24) for less than what will cost all the material you need...

So , maybe it will be cheaper to buy such a device then rip the pads+pcb to reuse them in your MB, that would be great  ::)

i have the sensor detail all worked out using CUI sensors - they're particularly nice because tehy have domed surfaces. they're shipping me samples of 2 types right now. using FSRs would drive the cost of this whole operation up probably 150 USD per unit.

i'm ordering up some liquid silicon soon. ready to make this thing work again.