Easiest HUI

zwaps

What would, in your opinion, be the easiest Midibox HUI one could build for a first-timer?

I am not really concerned about how much I would use it, but I reckon starting with something really useful (full blown DAW controller, for example), would probably end in chaos.

So, if you could do one project as a first, which would require minimal skill across the board?

Screaming Rabbit is right on the nose there. The Midimon is as simple as it gets.  However, its a monitor or test/debug tool. Its not an 'instrument' on the midibus.  You cant make sounds with it.

Fortunately, Midibox is incredibly scale-able.

The smallest Midibox instrument a person could build would simply consist of one knob, or one switch, or one encoder. (plus a few buttons for menu control)

It is a core, an LCD screen, and a few buttons plus a _________  (your choice there).

You would then need to choose the appropriate i/o module .. example: a knob would need the Ain board.  Now, there IS the choice of modifying the code in order to directly wire the knob to the core, and thus avoiding the Ain circuit. For newbies sake though, buy the boad, or at least build part of the circuit.

Now, finding one knob (or fader, or button) usefull.. is up to the user. The good news is that once ONE knob works, its a simple matter to add many more. It really IS just soldering some wires to the pot, hooking them to the Ain board and calling it a job well done.