Bootloader included or not

Karlchen

Hi there.

Since I just started to do some DIY projects based on Midibox, so this is my first post.

And things don't seem to start extraordinarily well  :(

I have assembled my Core-module and connected it to mios studio.

Instead of seeing sysex-messages in the monitor window, all I can see messages like

[F8] Timing clock

[FC] Stop

[FF] System Reset

running down my screen.

Can I conclude that the bootloader was not flashed properly? I ordered a preprogrammed PIC from Mike's.

Any help is highly appreciated...

Hi Karlchen,

it's always hard to say what's going on from the distance, but the messages you see are definitely cheesy.

Do have something else running that could be sending a clock? Is the clock coming repetitive or just once? -> if it's repeating: are you sure, you wired the I/O of MIOSStudio right?

I don't know how relyable Mike's PICs are. SmashTV's are extraordinarily relyable. So I thing it's more likely that there's an error with your solderings somewhere rather than you got a bad PIC.

If noone else is answering the next few days:

could you post a bit more informations (and maybe some longer snippets of what messages occur when you're switching the Core ON).

Cheers,

Michael

Hello Michael.

These messages keep running down my screen. So I assume the core is sending SOMETHING permanently. The order of messages seems to be random.

This evenig I wil try to post a sample screenshot of the output.

>Do have something else running that could be sending a clock?

Well, there is nothing else attached to my midi interface than the core (the interface is an Edirol UA-25).

Is the proper output depending on an INPUT from mios studio into the core? If so, might the optocoupler cause the trouble? I had to remove it several times from the socket, because it didn't want to fit in there properly...

Regards,

Leonhard

hi,

don't really know but it's possible that there is a short somewhere, have you well tested your cable, does the  midi troubleshooting?

quote from the readme file of the boostrap loader update (available at download page at Uccaps.de):

D) you are not sure, if your PIC runs with Bootloader V1.1b or V1.2b

In this case, try to upload

-> pic18f452\midi\update_without_installed_mios.hex

via MIDI like described at the http://www.ucapps.de/mios_bootstrap.html page.

If Bootloader V1.2 is already installed, MIOS Studio will abort the upload

after 3 retries, since this .hex file contains code blocks located at

the new Bootloader location (0x000-0x3ff)

If the old Bootloader V1.1b is installed, the file can be uploaded

completely, and it will update to Bootloader V1.2 and MIOS V1.9

after the countdown has reached zero.

NOTE: upload has to be started within 2 seconds after power-on of the core

in order to use the Bootloader, and not MIOS for transfers. MIOS will always

reply with errors responses when you are trying to upload this binary

so, you can try this update, then you will see if the bootstrap loader is correctly burned. I suppose that if the Bootstrap isn't loaded, the update won't work...

I don't think, that trying an update is a good idea when no proper upload request has been sent to the core.

It really looks strange, we never had such a case before. It looks like the baudrate is not correct, but as Karlchen wrote, that he has already checked the crystal, it must be something else. The case that the MIDIbox-to-COM mode is selected via ID can be excluded (38200 baud, in this case, you would see Pitch Bender Events).

Since your Edirol interface receives more 1's than 0's (FF, F8, FC), could it be that there is a short at the MIDI Out line?

Do you have the possibility to check the MIDI In port of your MIDI interface with another MIDI device?

Best Regards, Thorsten.