Illuminated panel windows

Sasha

You could always marry me

It is legalised in AU? ...why not  ;) I`m open minded when it comes to papers.  ;D

You know stryd, I think I becomming to like you, alot!  ;D

And now, as I promissed... some pics.

The picture is kinda fake as it is just a engraved test plate, no encoder, knob or LEDs are mounted but it is good enough to see the results.

The picture in the middle is illuminated with 3mm LED, and I must say, in real it looks much better.

Here is the attachment...

IMG_0417_thumb.jpg

IMG_0423_thumb.jpg

IMG_0428_thumb.jpg

1092_IMG_0417_jpgc1d46a311903fb4be60ace2

1094_IMG_0423_jpg4b20ff580a165b5fe2a8d93

1096_IMG_0428_jpg58a3a652f5bb446cdb13227

the knobs look amazing really impressive

sounds like the first midi-box wedding is on the cards then maybe ill have to buy a new hat

hey sasha its a crazy messed up world im not comparing my situation to yours but i live on 30 euros a week at the moment for money for electronics i have to go collecting things from skips  sell them at the local fleamarket buy things at fleamarket sell on ebay etc

oh well im happy at least im not getting bombed or shot at and theres lots of bins

full of stuff in europe

regards kris

Man that looks nice. is that the back-painted and etched acrylic?

Yes, it is back-painted 3mm clear acrylic, but for real I will go with some kind of "smoked" acrylic. It is transparent but slightly darker so it looks better.

hey sasha its a crazy messed up world im not comparing my situation to yours but i live on 30 euros a week at the moment for money for electronics i have to go collecting things from skips  sell them at the local fleamarket buy things at fleamarket sell on ebay etc

oh well im happy at least im not getting bombed or shot at and theres lots of bins

full of stuff in europe

Yes, kris I agree this world is definetly crazy. I know that econimic situation in India is even worse but it is hard to find comfort in that, but thanks for words of currage. Apreciate it. ...And dont be sure you wont be bombed too. There is alot of dusty bombs out there gethering dust...  >:( I couldnt belive myself that is really happening after all previous shit that happened here, but better not to continue with the politics. Lets try to enjoy what is worth. This is one of not so many places I feel good.

yea at least weve got music

im not living in india at the moment im from uk my last box was made when i was living in india now im back in uk

at least theres lots of rubbish to turn into midi-boxers thru ebay in the uk

lots of regards kris

• 3 months later...

After some testing you have seen in a previous posts I made some final parts. Assembly consists of LED ring mask, LED spacer sub-panel and encoder sub-panel. Here is how it looks disassembled without LEDs and encoder...

IMG_0988_thumb.jpg

IMG_0994_thumb.jpg

IMG_1000_thumb.jpg

1405_IMG_0988_jpg5999ed7c188cc3d7ec79183

1407_IMG_0994_jpg8cc567b8b036915db008318

1409_IMG_1000_jpg34bbcbe5d73eaef449f2f8c

Dude!!!! Wow!

So let me get this right.. Thats clear plexi with a black plexi back, and you've cut the pointers out of the black so it can shine through?

Damn it's amazing what you can do with cheap CNC and a vivid imagination :)

Edit: I'm looking again and noticing the details, all the holes for LED's and encoder, and then the notch for holding the encoder in the bottom plate... Nice work man...

Thanks Stryd.

So let me get this right.. Thats clear plexi with a black plexi back, and you've cut the pointers out of the black so it can shine through?

Actually, the idea is much more simple... The window is made out of "smoked" transparent acrylic I sprayed back at the back. So, when you engrave back side, it burns off the layer of paint and it becomes transparent and act as a mask for boring round LEDs. It is perfect and super-easy solution to do any kind of illuminated signs or text.  ;)

After my last gig (never did one at night before) I really think I need to make one illuminated panel controller as it was pretty difficult to work. Only light that I had was monitor and some distant fire torches. Now I truly understand why some people here are using all colours buttons they can find for their boxes. It is really helpful, that`s for sure.

I`ve been ask that question before, and I`ve been thinking about that... Try to imagine where would you hide that masking piece. If the rotation angle of pot is only 180 degrees it would be possible. With normal pots you will need to have flexible mask that can come from some container behind the light source. It is hard to explain. But it would be very complicate to DIY. The only useful way is to have illuminated or "shadow" pointer which is not bad, but knobs already have pointer that is visible and touchable. Sure, you can always make ledring for pot like MTE has done for his Traktorizer. But, doing so for faders would be very easy. I vas experimenting with faders/ The only thing is that you need to have nothing at the top of fader at least as the fader travel length. So it is also half usable.