Mios upload help (or, Test IN3)

Alright, I'm really really trying to figure this out.  I have read many posts where people have had problems uploading MIOS and their problems have been solved so i'm hoping for the same!

The first page I looked was the debug page.  I have done tests and the only things I'm sure of are that the optocoupler is fine (b/c i ordered two more since people had that problem often), that my polarity is fine on the midi ports, and taht my resistors in Test 1 are fine.

Now I'm on Test IN3.  I'm not exactly sure what this test tells me.  When connected to 26 and 31, the LED is lit.  However I don't understand what this means:

"So long as single MIDI events are recieved, you won't notice a difference, but with a continuous SysEx stream the LED should begin to flicker."

How do I get a continuous SysEx stream?  Is that simply the dump request from the Out every 2 seconds?  If so, then the LED does not flicker, so what does that tell me?

Like I said, I'm really just confused as to what this test is supposed to tell me.

Please help

Thanks,

tim.

Athe only things I'm sure of are that the optocoupler is fine (b/c i ordered two more since people had that problem often)

Never assume it's working just because it's new.

How do I get a continuous SysEx stream?

Try a continual stream of midi CC's, that'll work too - just go crazy on your modwheel.

Well I've got the midi ports mounted straight to the pcb so there's no room for polarity error.  (right?)

On another note:

I'm trying the loopback test (shorting the Rx/Tx pins), and don't think I'm doing it right.  When I take the PIC out, there is no SysEx request from the out... therefore MIOS studio doesn't recognize the core... so how am I supposed to test for loopback?

YAY!

I played my synth this morning at church, and when I went to plug in my Midiman 1x1 I got nothing.  So I ran back home and got and old midi cable that plugged into my game port.  it worked.  "Hm.  Maybe this is the root of my problems w/ my MIOS controller..." 

So I just got home... first try MIOS uploaded! 

Thanks for all the help and troubleshooting pages!  Even though it was simple there were a few things wrong I had to fix along the way (i.e. a reversed Diode, not enough voltage across the PIC...).

Now I'm gonna cross my fingers on the application.

ok new problem...

While uploading MIOS I had no other modules connected to the core.  After I uploaded MIOS to the PIC, I soldered all the other PCBs to the core.  Now when I give power to the core, MIOS does not come on (I get no initial SysEx message), and IC3 is extremely hot.  Most likely a bad sign.

Why would it be hot?

Thanks,

tim.

You mentioned that the problem started when you connected all the boards. If you unplug all the boards the problem will probably go away(give it a few minutes to cool down).

Then you could re-connect boards until the problem returns.

Of course, never connect or disconnect any boards with the power on. Turn it off to make changes.

That should help you to narrow it down a bit.

LyleHaze