Simple Questions

Guest opiumx

Guest opiumx

Hi. I am building the SID module and have some questions. I bought some PIC 18F452-I/P chips from a guy , who will also program them for me for free. I dont know what files to send him to put on the chip for the core module to use with the sid module. Please let me know exactly what file from the midibox_sid_v1_4_18f_stepA3.zip file that I should give him, and also he said, "I also

must know the configuration settings, such as watchdog timer enable or

disable, oscillator mode, etc. for each PIC/hex file combination." Thanks alot for any help, one more thing, do I have to use two power supplys? One for the core and one for the sid? Thanks again!

Hi opiumx. For the MIOS SID box, you need to burn the Bootstrap Loader (mios_bootstrap_loader_v1_1b.zip, see MIOS download page) on the PIC 18F.

Once that is done, you can upload new firmwares over MIDI to the PIC, without the need for a programmer. (see MIOS Bootstrap loader page)

About the settings for burning the PIC, IC-Prog takes care of those as described in the JDM programmer page under MB Hardware Platform.

hope this helps!

Guest opiumx

Thats pretty neat. All I need to give him is mios_bootstrap_loader_v1_1b.hex ? And does he have to do any of those settings for that like he asked? I can put this on all the pics I buy for any of the midibox projects as long as its the pic18 chip?

All I need to give him is mios_bootstrap_loader_v1_1b.hex ? And does he have to do any of those settings for that like he asked?

Yep, only that hex file. Mind that you can change some values in the hex file depending on your MidiBox hardware (enabling COM-port, character or graphic LCD).

Even tho yer not going to burn the PIC yerself, you can download IC-Prog to make the changes to the hex file as described in the readme.

If you select the PIC 18F452 in IC-Prog, i guess you'll also be able to see the details your mate will need...

I can put this on all the pics I buy for any of the midibox projects as long as its the pic18 chip?

Yup, for all MIOS applications (but mind Thorsten may release a new bootstrap loader version).

Also was a right or wrong about needing a power supply for each module or is there a way to use one power supply for both modules?

I'm not entirely sure... I need to finish my midibox64 first so i haven't reached this stage yet  ;)

Guess you can, but it should deliver 15V / 500mA for a 6581 SID. I just wonder if the 7805 on the Core won't get too hot with that powersupply.

Guest opiumx

Silly me, I see I dont need a graphic display, hehe, Thanks alot for help everyone, its good to see there isnt people here that make fun of beginners. Thanks again!