Traktorizer - a Midibox to control Traktor-DJ-Studio -

MTE

Nobody's going to be scratching on a wheel that small anyway.

If there's a separate CS PCB (mentioned above) then people way want to use different hardware., so having the core hardware and software designed with an optional hi-res encoder is still useful. There's not a lot to it really, just little things like which pins are used/kept free etc...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Somewhere far in the future one of the coolest things you could do with these would make it a standalone controller. No computer. 8)  I know I would appreciate it waaaay more because laptops are expensive and if it was straight no filtering through a computer.  I know lots of work would be needed but just keep it in mind. ::)

Somewhere far in the future one of the coolest things you could do with these would make it a standalone controller. No computer.

I'm working on something very similar to what you just described. It uses an x86 single board computer for now, but a dsPIC (or something) would be the eventual plan...

• 4 weeks later...

whassup!

It's first post here. Hi all! ;P

First of all, i'm not a dj. i'm not even a musician, i just know a bit about electronics, nuts and bolts... but i love music and, what the hell, why not? I'm making one of those for me! :D

One of the things that i first noticed is that is HUGE! I was thinking in a modular build of it, like the old/not so old dj setup: the jogwheels and mixer apart from each other. Making the connections between them would be a pain, but it's worth the shot.

The other thing that came into my mind is... is it possible to keep all MTE design, but use the wheels from rasteri? (btw: you work rocks, man.) I mean, a big wheel with a hi-res encoder.

At last, is it possible to use hacked-mouse encoders, instead of the great encoders you use? Where i live, the encoders are expensive as hell!

MTE, rasteri and sasha, you did fuc**n great 'til now. Keep it up!

Greets from brazil!

-a

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Here is my version of Traktorizer.

It's still a draft, i really don't have a clue about where to begin, but that's what i'd like to build.

Well, to the facts:

1) The buttons: The big ones (play and cue) have 30mm on diameter. the little round ones have 15mm. The squared ones have 15x20mm; the 'loop' button is 42mm wide. PROBLEM: I don't know how to make or even paint them :-[ I'd like they were made of rubber/silicone, but i can't think a good way to make the bottom part, where the leds and switches go.

2) The jog wheel: It's borrowed from rasteri's scratch wheel project: a 7" vinyl disc on a slightly (5mm on radius) bigger platter. the red part would be the slipmat. All that stuff would be connected to a hi-res encoder and a little circuit to make the disc itself a capacitive sensor, eliminating the conductive paint stuff (and thus allowing me to print that beautiful devil girl on the disc label  :P)

3) The LCD is out of scale. I didn't think much about this right now, but it would be nice if i have a white-on-black LCD :)

4) The case is 300mm wide x 350mm high (about 12"x13"). The goal is make it out of aluminum, but wood will work as well. Let's see what will fit better in the budget (which is really, really low!)

5) The controls: In order to make a compact unit, I have supressed some of the controls of the original project. Some of those will appear in the mixer unit, some will not be implemented.

6) The set: I'm thinking about making a 3-piece set, with two identical turntables and one mixer. that would make all the set easier to carry and allow some freedom on positioning the units. I'm working on the mixer design. PROBLEM: how to connect all that. there's a LOT of connections to make. Maybe a DB-25 connector? Don't know yet. If it turns out to be a huge problem, i'll go to the shorter path and make it an all-in-one unit.

That's it for now. Hope you like it and find all the 'design influences' (a little euphemism for copy! lol)

-a

3965_turntable_jpg3a00a3b7acef1cb5c68a2a

3965_turntable_jpg3a00a3b7acef1cb5c68a2a

I like the look of this. I especially like the idea of using the vinyl as a capacitive touch sensor, I'm maybe not too keen on the look of a 7" covered in paint!

Not used traktor yet so not sure what controls are needed so can't comment there. I'm wanting to build something similar to this in the future so please be sure to keep us updated on your progress

Hey guys,

Just by friday i'll be able to buy some parts, so all I've had is sketching... so, this is my vision on traktorizer's mixer.

I kept just the main effects, so i got a more compact unit (this is about 25cm w x 35 h). the kill buttons have 10x10mm. AND, that gray square is exactly what you're thinking ;) suck it, xponent! :P

Actually, i have this touchpad for a long time, it was left on a drawer for about 5 years or so. I didn't really decided on using it, but again, it's just a sketch.

later,

-a

4054_mixer_jpg939925c4c6ebd405b4741f9255

4054_mixer_jpg939925c4c6ebd405b4741f9255

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...