MBSID bare minimum built!

dext3r

Great project! im psyched, only took a couple hours and had both core and SID boards populated and ready to go.

I wanted to build just the minimum before building the additional LCD/control surface parts.

Good news is that my SID receives and plays notes without a hitch. But I have a question. Do I absolutely need a Bankstick to modify the default tone? I was assuming that I would be able to modify the default settings and that the Bankstick was just to store multiple settings.

I tried to change the settings via jsynth but it didnt seem to work. can i mess with stuff without having a bankstick? thanks for your help. :)

Get a BankStick. You can store settings in the one internal patch but I don't know if JSynthLib works well like that... it's a lot easier (and more fun!) to upload 128 patches to a BankStick and switch between them with a program change MIDI event...

something else came up:

i was messing around and just hitting a continual stream of notes, and the SID output just kept getting quieter and quieter until inaudible. when i stopped, waited a second, and played a note, volume was back to normal. is that due to the default patch settings or is my SID bad?

Starting with the MB-SID v1.74685 release, you can put ALL the switches and LEDs in a matrix so that the full control surface only needs 5 DIN and 3 DOUT. 5 DIN = 4 DIN for all the encoders + 1 DIN for 8 "rows" of the switch matrix. 1 DOUT is the "column" selector of the switch matrix (and sinks a column of LEDs), the other 2 DOUT output the 16 "rows" of the LED matrix. If that's all too confusing, don't worry, it will be explained in more detail soon, with wiring diagrams (can't do that now sorry).