SEQ + FM in one !

jeb

hello,

are there some projects that would make a Midibox FM (with OPL module) and Midibox SEQ

in one box (so just one core, one front panel, one 19'' rack, same buttons, so lower

price !!!)

is this possible and ergonomic ? have you tried Torsten ?

thanks

There are a number of reasons this is currently not possible, mostly because the current versions of both SEQ and FM are running on a PIC with limited memory.

However the primary reason I don't think TK would do something like this, is that the MBHP is a modular system intended to provide the most flexibility and features not found in commercial products.

To achieve what you're looking for would require compromises in performance and features.

Yeap and on top of that the SEQ and FM user interfaces have similarities but are also quite different.

FM has a LED/button matrix while SED does not.

LEDs in the SEQ and FM are not used for the same purposes.

All in all, I think that by merging both you would end up with a very strange beast that would most probably be contra-intuitive.

Most probably the double function buttons/Leds/encoders would also lead to a pretty messy marking on the front panel.

What could potentially be done but I don't know if it would give any gain on the total budget is litteraly to put the two SEQ and FM in one and only box but a bigger one then. You could then maybe reduce a bit on the price of the box, have only one power supply, reduce the number of MIDI connectors by doing internal cabling but on the other hand you would loose in flexibility for a gain that may not be really significant...

Best regards,

Lall