Problem with Core and Midi-Ox

fh

I just finished building my first core and it looks like I have introduced an "undesireable enhancement".  I foolishly patted my self on the back after I thought I checked everything out with a multi-meter before I tried to load anything.

This is my setup:

Dell Portable Latitude D810, OS XP SP2, processor 1.73 GHZ, memory 795 MHz 1.OO GB

Midi-Ox 7.0.0.365

Midiman USB Midisport 4x4 with latest drivers

The core has a PIC18F452 with BSL v1.2B and MIOS v1.9D

I have the Midi-Ox event connected to the Midi outport port a.  This is connect to the core.

My problem is the Midi-os input monitor never stops displaying FO OO OO 7E 40 00 01 F7 every 2 seconds.

I have uploaded varios .syx application files.  I see them in the Midi Ox output window, but nothing changes.

I have not been handicapped by much knowledge or understaning.  I have relied completely on blind stupidity which is my strongest talent.

Help.

Is that the smart mode in Mios Studio or Midi Ox?  I haven't had any luck finding the .jar file for Mios Studio.  I've tried lots of links in the forum.  Most eventually loop back on themselves.  The closest I have gotten is to the MIOS_Studio_beta7_4.zip file but there is a .jar file in there.

Also, should I be loading a .sys or a .hex file?

Well, the hex and syx files essentially are the same data, just delivered differently - the syx file is generated from the hex file. MIOS Studio is definitely the best tool at the moment, and it uses hex files, so that's the way to go.

When you download the .jar file, it is often renamed to .zip (due to an extremely common misconfiguration of IE/FF/WinZip). Just rename the .zip file to .jar, double-click it and and you're set :)

I renamed the .zip to .jar and I have a splash screen.  Windows says its running.  I guess I can go forward until my stupidity complicates things.  I always avoid the simple solution and go straight to the most confusing.

The splash screen never goes away unless I boot the computer.  When I run the .jar file from the command line, I get a lot of java errors:

C:\MidiBox>java -jar MIOSStudio_beta7_4.jar

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/midibox/a

pps/miosstudio/gui/MIOSStudioGUIDriver (Unsupported major.minor version 48.0)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)

My problem is the Midi-os input monitor never stops displaying FO OO OO 7E 40 00 01 F7 every 2 seconds.

This indicates that there is no MIOS loaded. Once the MIOS is loaded this message will only display once after power on.

As suggested the MIOS Studio is the best choice for loading the MIOS and applications. With MIDI-OX it's very difficult to hit the 2 second window after power on when uploading the MIOS.