Breadboard or Perfboard?

Fall_X

Hi,

Since I'm a complete newbie and I can't solder or make PCB's, I was thinking of using breadboards or perfboards to build my first box. But I can't decide which option to go for.

I know perfboards require soldering, but they should be more stable than breadboards, correct? I don't want my box to break as soon as I pick it up :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You'll have to describe what you mean by "breadboard" and "perfboard" as both terms are vague... "breadboard" often refers to any kind of board you use to make a circuit (solderless or soldered pads).

If "breadboard" to you means those solderless experimenting boards, where component leads are gripped in the holes, and "perfboard" to you means a board with holes, with or without copper pads on the other side.... then... I suggest you don't use either for your "first" MIDIbox.

The solderless experimenting boards are just for experimenting. Use it to try out a circuit, test some LEDs, test a switch or something, but you would not want to put that in a box and call it finished.

The "breadboard" you solder to, with individual copper pads around each hole, are good for lots of things, like mounting control surface components (you see that a lot here) and even building a complete MIDIbox, but it also means you need to be good at soldering and laying out components neatly and often soldering three or more wires onto the same pad (tricky).

Your best option is to buy PCBs or kits from SmashTV and learn to solder, it's not as hard as you think, you put the component in the holes, make the iron touch both pad and lead, and then feed in some solder to the join. A PCB with fat pads and solder mask is easy to solder, and worth the time it would take you to reproduce the same thing with "breadboard" and lots of wires, and with a higher chance of success (no mistakes in wiring, less chance of shorts, etc.)

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough, but I meant what you described. I did order the kit from SmashTV, but once again I wasn't specific enough - I was not talking about the core stuff, I want to use the bread/perf boards for the control components.

Thanks for your reply.

Agree with Wilba..  In fact, I would suggest taking a trip to your local electronics shop or thumb through a catalog and get a cheap project kit or two. Electronic Dice, or alarm kit. Something that will let you practice soldering several components, getting used to the heat sensativity, understanding polarity of certain parts.. etc.

If you make mistakes, its ok, you didn't spend much on it anyway. Go ahead and destroy something you dont really care about. The idea is to get good and comfortable with the work before attempting to build up a Midibox kit. Midibox kits aren't exactly difficult to build, and they aren't exactly expensive, but they aren't exactly newbie safe either.

• 3 weeks later...

I went the "kit first" route to get my practice in using some of these kits...

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/products.asp?dept=1219

The upside is the end result is a wonky noise toy as well and you being able to solder :-)

As far as etching boards for the buttons etc. I would ask around friends and family a bit as I thought I would never find anyone then a friend casually mentioned that he makes his own guitar pedals and etches his own boards...

Bingo!

Bottle of wine and some cash for parts later and I'll have my buttons and pot boards etched so I reckon it's worth asking around a bit more..  Maybe ask in you local remote control model shop or car customisation shop if they know of anyone who might do it. I asked in mine and they did know someone who would etch me boards but I found out about my friends secret hobby ;-)

Rgds, Stef

Hi stefstabilizer,

Those are some nice kits, I was about to order the Theremin kit for practice, but saddly it said "no shipping options available" (I live in Belgium)  :(

There is a really good Theremin kit available from Jaycar in Australia - and the do ship to europe - I've built two and they sound quite good. It's a full kit, with case and everything. they have a UK website: Theremin is at: http://www.jaycarelectronics.co.uk/productView.asp?ID=KC5295&CATID=25&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=557

Hope this helps

Mike

Hi stefstabilizer,

Those are some nice kits, I was about to order the Theremin kit for practice, but saddly it said "no shipping options available" (I live in Belgium)  :(

Oops I forgot about that side of it..  I'm in the UK so I got a friend who lives out there to buy them for me and mail them over.

I got the scifi sound effect kit which is essentially a ten note step sequencer and the optical theremin..  Both make very wonky but kinda quirky noises...  Nothing that could described as nice though ;-)