LCD & LED Query

The III Man

Hi,

A few newbie electrical queries for a Midibox 64, just want to check before I order parts. If you could quickly doublecheck the below for me that would be great

LCD

Just wanted to check if anyone new if this LCD unit was compatible with the Midibox 64? http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/46972.pdf I have checked the data sheet, but would appreciate if you could take a quick look and tell me if I am right in thinking this should be okay.

LED

If I am using 5mm LED's attaching to one of Smash's DOUT's, then do I have to put a resistor after each LED, if so how do I work out what resistor to use? The LED's I was thinking of using are these - http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Optoelectronics/LEDs/CML+INNOVATIVE+TECHNOLOGIES/CMD5752/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1139565, are they alright? I can't find what spec i should use but there are soo many LEDs to choose from.

thanks for your help

toby

I can't open the PDF properly - it's all white space....

I'd go for a LCD that is KS0107/KS0108 or HD61202 compatible, do that and you should be fine

The DOUT Kits from SmashTV come with resistor arrays so you won't need to buy any additional ones.

The LEDs look okay to me, as far as I know pretty much any LED (discounting big high powered or exotic ones) will do - someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You need to be careful about the amount of amps you are pulling if you are using lots of LEDs, but that's about it...

If you are ordering kits from Smash you might want to grab the LEDs he sells (if he's still got stock)..

The other thing of course is that LEDs are sooo cheap it's hardly gonna break the bank to grab a few and see if they work - don't be scared to experiment.

I've ordered one of everything from some places (lit buttons esp) - sometimes it's the only way to really know how the product looks, feels and operates.

good luck with your box