Interesting project

maniac

Its very interesting, specially if its hard to find a C64 in your place (my case), or you don't want to cannibalize a C64. You could build your midibox sid and make it work with swinsid until you find a real sid

What is a pitty is that physically you are replacing the original SID with a board that has the AVR chip (meaning that the pin compatibility is present via a mess of cables from the SwinSID to the SID socket)

Even if the designer claims that the proyect can't show its full potential due to the lack of software (the SwinSID has new features like wavetable synthesis, not as a fixed instruments but as a real wavetable synth), I think as it can act as a hardware SID then it may be a good replacement, and judging by the sound demos, it sounds different, but it may have interesting results in sound.

My only concern is that the midibox SID makes full use of the original SID, meaning that SwinSID has to emulate every corner of the SID chip, not only for working on a C64, but it also has to work to whatever could use a full use of the SID...

If that's not the case, supposing the emulation is not 100% perfect, then I guess a midibox SwinSID could crash?

Yeah, I was thinking about the same sorts of problems..  some tricky stuff goes down to that rely on strange properties of the SID...  a software replacement likely wont function fully in that respect..

I was looking at it more of a new project though.

The maker claims there are new features but nothing currently makes use of them.. well the Midibox/SID is the perfect platform to test that theory. Why not a special version of the mbSID for this chip that implements some of those special features?

Really, the SID project would need to be altered to work with this device to get around some of those weird properties of the true SID that were taken advantage of.

but 8 voices of this remake could be just as unique and amazing sounding.