c64 Black Brick PSU 9 volt AC dead? Common problem?

natemccoy

Hello, I have put together my CORE and SID modules and am getting the correct voltages where required for the CORE but when i test my c64 "black brick" power supply, i seem to get only a 5v DC output from the appropriate pins but the 9v AC output seems dead. I keep testing between the 6 and 7 pins hoping that it is still good but all arrows point to the power supply being broken (yes the multimeter is set to AC). Is this a common problem? I've read it is better to use this power supply for the noise levels of the SID. Does it honestly matter just as long as i use the common ground from one power supply for both the CORE and SID modules? What is so odd is that this power supply worked about 2 weeks ago when i was running Prophet64. So i know the PSU did work and was giving correct voltages to run the Computer and SID chip then. I guess... what do you expect from a PSU that is 20 years old  ;D. Any ideas or comments? anyone know where i can get another PSU? preferably within the USA? ???

Hi,

did you handle the AC/ground lines with special care to avoid short circuits? It's for example important, that the PSU is not powered when you are soldering the cables.

If not, propably the fuse has blown-up. I don't know the US version of the PSU, but on the EU version it can be easily replaced (there is screwable socket)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

oh no, i was afraid of that.  :'( i may have dont just such a thing. yeah its true, the US version of the power supply is full of an epoxy glue like compound so even if i wanted to, its probably impossible to fix it! well thanks for the info and it looks like im going to start the hunt for another c64 PSU.  ;D

i was thinking that as well because the fuse would be for all voltage output, unless they have seperate fuses on each circuit for AC and DC (which would seem excessive and unnecissary), and yes i am only reading 5 volts DC from the power supply and no other voltages neither AC nor DC. I know i must have damaged something, whether it was the transformer itself, as you mentioned, i'm not sure. Well if you have any extra ones i would gladly buy one. do you have any other ideas?

i was thinking that as well because the fuse would be for all voltage output, unless they have seperate fuses on each circuit for AC and DC (which would seem excessive and unnecissary), and yes i am only reading 5 volts DC from the power supply and no other voltages neither AC nor DC. I know i must have damaged something, whether it was the transformer itself, as you mentioned, i'm not sure. Well if you have any extra ones i would gladly buy one. do you have any other ideas?

I have no spare ones, I seem to destroy all of them  ;D

That's why I started to make my own PSU. If you search my posts you can surely find it. I have recently finished it, and will test it soon.