Mk_syx

Hi :)

I find the the ASM apps for midibox are quite easier for a newbie as the C ones!

That's why the configuration of the files named XXXX.ini ad the making of syx files for sending to core are very very simple!

But, in my opinion, as I red in many messages, if you want to modify something or to write your own apps, C is better because is simple, but the modification of an existing apps in C is more difficult than ASM ones (like Mk_syx).

After this prefaction...that's my problem.

After many days of studying, trying with asm apps and C apps, I realize that for my own midibox project The MK_Syx files are the best, it have comments and there's a file named Generic.ini that is just perfect!

Now I want to add some simple things to my box: pushing a DIN, some controller must go to a specific Value ex: I push a button and 10 controllers values go to 60 in a classic 0-127 range, I push another one and the same 10 controllers values must go to 20 and so on...a kind of "Memory" or "snapshot" function...

Have you go some advices for how to do this ? In which way, modifying asm program, adding somethings or with a C programs is association with the original MK_Syx? Can someone please give me some help?

Thank you!

Andrea

Andrea,

I'm an eternal newbie with both, but have run into some of the same questions. I did find that certain areas of the app were indeed easier to handle in C, even with a very "modest" knowledge of it. For instance, reading and writing to arrays and such seems to be much easier than figuring out how to access tables in ASM. Similar to what you're talking about with the buttons, I was working on a "stepped" control in some DAW software a while back, which was actually represented by a pot in the plug-in. The pot only had six level values between 0 and 127 and I wanted to use a pair of up/down arrows instead. Using a constant array with a dimension of six elements, I could stick whatever six values I wanted in there and add/subtract '1' from a counter variable to get the correct element (value) from the array. Likewise, you could easily check a specific pin's status beforehand (for a "shift" button,etc.) and jump to a different group of values or a whole different function if the button was in. Sounds like a lot, but in C it only works out to a few added lines. :)

Ideally, maybe you could mix the two as some do here, but it seems to be more with adding ASM code to a C app. ??? 

Good Luck,

George