cubase dsp vs behringer ddx3216 dsp

Artesia

just done a little experiment this weekend, having just got hold of an alesis multitrack recorder & an assortment of adat widgetry,

I recorded a portion of a live gig i was doing sound for with the ddx3216 mixer; this consisted of linking the mixer via digital adat to the alesis hd recorder. 6 channels where direct raw feeds from the stage, consisting of two vocal mics, two guitar & two for keyboards & backing. the remaining two chanels where used to record the live mix as it came out of the mixer.

I then took this home and then downloaded the resulting files to my pc and fed the multitracks into cubasse for a little fun. after setting up a full mix in cubase using its 'in the bundle vst effects' ...i made the curious discovery that no matter what, it could not attain as natural & pleasant a mix as was obtained with the mixer !

...then again the mixer uses a bundle of sarc processors running 48-72 bit (?) floating point dsp caluations for all the effects.. and something tells me the freebie effects with cubase are somewhat compromised/economical on cpu footprint. ...hmm keeping my eyes out for effects and processing that can compare (without hitting Waves) ..tho something tells me that the mixers going to see a fair bit more use :)