[blog] SIDSt4ti0n Photoblog

FLD

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats very hard to say, and I'm sure that if anybody would start to write down a list, it would be partly wrong, or some ground connections would be missing.

The easiest approach is to compare the board with the schematic.

I would propose to print out the schematic, search the parts on the board in the schematic, check if it is connected to ground, and wire the appr. connection if it is missing.

Mark off each part you've checked that way to ensure that none is missing at the end.

This should be a process of ca. 15 minutes - and it will be complete :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I've been trying to learn how to use this Wisp628 Programmer but it seems to lack a good documentation ;<

This is the circuit i currently have:

prog2ys8.th.jpg

But it doesn't seem to work :(

When i put the power on that circuit its ok, but when i connect the programmer the circuit starts to draw 3amps from my power supply and after i unplug the programmer the PIC starts to heat up and the Current display says 0.90Amps. So its kinda strange... The programmer should be ok because the software detects it correctly. So i´m probably doing the wiring wrong :\

I also forgot to make the ratsnest before exporting the print, so my modules and pic programmer where also missing some connections.

But i've manage to solve this buy wiring them by hand.

I could take a look at them and discribe it to you , or make some images if you are interested.

grtz,

Liinnerd

I also forgot to make the ratsnest before exporting the print, so my modules and pic programmer where also missing some connections.

But i've manage to solve this buy wiring them by hand.

I could take a look at them and discribe it to you , or make some images if you are interested.

grtz,

Liinnerd

Oh yea! Images would be great help!

Just wanted to notify that i just figured out how to use the Wisp628 programmer. The documentation said that you have to apply power to 4 pins (11,12,31,32) but turns out that this was wrong and that it produces a short circuit inside the chip :)

So what i did was i only connected the power to pins 11 and 12 and it started working! I used a burn program called Bumble Bee and it worked nicely :)

For the records: ratsnest is required whenever somebody creates a layout based on an eagle schematic. This is the case for the MBHP_BURNER_V1 layout, which has been done by Mike.

As I don't use the schematic module for my own layouts (I don't like the way how the circuit is displayed, and I find it easier to place&route the parts directly), a print out will work even without this well hidden command for most MBHP modules.

Thats the reason for this "inconsistency"

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hmmpf found a decent soldering tip (while waiting the pro tip to arrive) and i made SID and Core modules. I wired them like this: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_sid_c64_psu.pdf. And i also have LCD connected. I checked all the voltages and mounted the chips. I Started the machine with setup_8580.HEX firmware and the LCD displays black boxes at the upper row.

Ok so i changed to another PIC which had the Test Tone program. It did the same thing and i couldn't hear anything from the speakers. What does this mean?

I will post some pics tomorrow :)

Umm, my Cores aren't sending any MIDI messages and the LCD just shows the bars. Should the programmed PIC display Bars? How can i even know if the PIC's are programmed?

A programmed PIC shows bars ca. 2 second after power-on (while the bootloader is running), so long MIOS hasn't been programmed, or if the LCD is not completely (or wrongly) connected.

You can ensure that the bootloader has been programmed properly by using the verify function of the programmer software.

Once you did this, please go through the troubleshooting guide (http://www.ucapps.de/howto_debug_midi.html) and list the results of each particular test - this could help us to analyse the problem.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

so, if you can see the black bars in the upper row, it's likely

that the bootstraploader is on the PIC.

sorry to correct you (the graphics in the wiki is a bit misleading in this regard), but the bars tell nothing about the bootloader. An usual text LCD does them while it is not initialized. As the LCD is not initialized by the loader but by MIOS, the thing you know from the bars is that there´s no MIOS (or there´s a bad connection). But you don´t know if there´s a bootloader.

S

Me and SmashTV discussed a lot about my problem and it turns out that it was pretty easy one :-P

I had the wrong software uploaded to the PIC. It gets confusing when there are so many of them :)

Well anyways now i´m receiving some MIDI messages every 2 seconds ;)

00000021511358 ms | [E0 78 00] Channel 1: Pitch Bend value: 120

00000021511359 ms | [E8 41 7F] Channel 9: Pitch Bend value: 16321

00000021511360 ms | [FF] System Reset

I was told that the message i´m receiving is wrong and that it could be that i have my midi cable reversed or i have a MIDI loop. Also it could be because of my crappy "Gameport to MIDI" adapter that has very poor connection (Connector is very loose). I´m thinking of buying Edirol UM-1X USB MIDI interface, because i could get it for 25e :)

Also i should mention that the PIC Verify process didn't pass after i burned the newest bootloader. The last 0x300000 fails (0x00 instead of 0xFF if i remember correctly :P). But i herd that there are people who never get correct verification :)

Current progress: 3x Core, 3x Sid, 1x DOUT, 1x DIN

Still lots of soldering to do!

this last mismatch is ok (it's the configuration area)

If you receive pitch bender events, the PIC is running at the wrong baudrate, accordingly the PIC ID header is not programmed correctly.

Maybe you are not using P18 to burn the PIC?

However, either use P18, or follow the instructions of "TEST SW2" (file:///home/avatar/public_html/howto_debug_midi.html)

The use of P18 is easier

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi FLD, I looked at your photos and to be ahead of problems:

- It looks like you have created yourself a groundloop (ground wire connected from 9V PSU to SID board AND from 5V on Core to SID as well). This will probably introduce noise.

- You have not grounded the audio-in of the SID. This creates a massive amount of noise.

Cheers,  Alex.

Hi FLD, I looked at your photos and to be ahead of problems:

- It looks like you have created yourself a groundloop (ground wire connected from 9V PSU to SID board AND from 5V on Core to SID as well). This will probably introduce noise.

- You have not grounded the audio-in of the SID. This creates a massive amount of noise.

Cheers,  Alex.

Yea, well its just for testing that the modules even work :p

But right now i've gotta learn how to burn PICS correctly :D

As TK suspected is was a PIC Header problem. So now we know that the BumbleBee burner does not like to burn the Header

My solution was to finish the MBHP Burner. It worked perfectly and burned the pic succesfully. Now im receiving the following MIDI Message:

00000088049954 ms | Sysex message: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7

I belive that the next step would be to upload the MIOS with MIDI Connection