Query about Ain wiring

The III Man

Hi, a newbie wiring question.

When wiring up pots onto my AINS I know I have to link each to ground and +ve as well as to an input pin, however is it essential that each pot is linked to the Vs & Vd corresponding to where on the AIN it is wired to or can you use Vs & Vd freely. I.e can I ground and wire to +ve a whole load of pots in series from one Vs and Vd?

Hope this makes sense. The reason I ask is due to lengths of wires in my box etc.

Thanks

Toby

The reason I am asking is because I have connected my core and I am getting loads of signals coming out. I was aware I had to ground all unused AIN inputs and have done - thats to Vs right?

The problem is I started planning to wire one way and finished another. The result is I have 8 pots wired as below to a Vs & Vd, however they are not necessarily grounded the the same Vs & Vd as the middle wire goes back to. (Sorry I dont know how to explain it more clearly, the 2 diagrams below should make it more simple).

wiring.gif

sooooo...

wiring2.gif

So overall my wiring is definitely wrong according to the schematic, I was just kind of hoping the way this worked meant that Vs and Vd were a constant and thus it doesnt really matter which one any row of pots are wired to?

Thanks

Toby

Ps. I know I should have done it right the first time!

I searched for an hour for that image, and found squat Embarrassed LOL

star-like, starlike, star like... here...the wiki....google... nothing.

Thanks MTE

;D

This you will find at the midibox64-walkthrough -> http://www.midibox.org/users/tor_arne/midibox64_walkthrough/index.html -> soldering pots & buttons / soldering everything else

I searched 1 hour too (months ago) so I putted this into Wiki -> Troubleshooting ;)

P.S.: searching for "starlike" at Wiki brings you to the section, cant understand why u dont have found it...

Hi,

I am still having issues with my AINS and I dont know what is going on. I am getting lots of erroneous signals. I know why this might be the case however shouldnt this stop completely if I link all of J5A and J5B's A0...A7 pins to Vs? WOuldnt that ground them all meaning I should get no output from my AINS at all? For some reason that is not happening.

Also I have a query re Smash's AINS and wiring. To provide the +5V and ground for my pots should I use the Vs and Vd from eachs 4051 section or do I use J7? I had thought that the Vs and Vd pins on each section were the way to go but I have read something elsae that has confused me on this?

Its irritating cos I'm almost there, all boards are built and soldered however when I boot up I am getting loads of extra midi signals from somewhere? Am i right in saying I don thave to ground the DINS to stop erroneous signals

thanks for your help

toby

shouldnt this stop completely if I link all of J5A and J5B's A0...A7 pins to Vs?

yes it should!

Vs and Vd from eachs 4051 section or do I use J7

I've used the ones from the 4501 DIL header, but you should be able to use the J7 pins too.

Its irritating cos I'm almost there,

hang in there dude, you'll get there...

And the quest goes on!

I have rewired and tested connections and have been going mad. All seems to be fine and voltage is getting to the chips and responding to the pots correctly however I haven't been getting a signal on midi ox for lots of my pots.

I then (after about 5 days) have realised that the pots start to work if I turn them all the way to +va and then to - ve, or at least most do. Can anybody tell me why this might be the case? Its exciting because things are staring to work, but very odd?

thanks

toby

Souns like a "software problem".

In the midibox menü, there is a menüpoint called PotMode ->Pot Behaviour

It sounds like you have changed it from normal mode to snap mode.

Snap Mode (Soft-Overtake): When you adjust a knob in Snap Mode, the original setting determines the value until the point where the movement of the knob passes beyond this position. In other words, the parameter does not jump to the value as in Normal Mode. However, keep in mind that your adjustments have no effect on the parameter until the knob "snaps" on at the position equivalent to the original parameter. In SNAP mode, an right arrow symbol appears instead of the parameter bar. It indicates in which direction the knob must be turned to exceed the current parameter value. Arrow Left implies the value is lower. The parameter bar appears when the value is "snapped".

With  the mk_syx skrypt (http://www.ucapps.de/howto_tools_mbsyx.html) you can change the pot behaviour if you havent got an lcd display and menü buttoms to do it directly.

Greetings

Markus