encoder troubles

ultra

i am having encoder issues on my seq.  when turning the encoder, values seem to jump around, or skip a value, or go in reverse.  it's hard to tell exactly what it's doing but it's not incrementing/decrementing notes like it should.  also, it'll change notes if i simply wiggle the encoder around.  i'd think that i just have a bad encoder, but this one is brand new and it has happened with others.  according to the data sheet (http://www3.alps.co.jp/WebObjects/catalog.woa/PDF/E/Switch/Encoder/EC12E/EC12E.PDF), the middle pin is common, so i believe i have it wired properly.  has anybody else come across this?

You could try the brand new "DETENTED3" mode, it could help (e.g. at least for the issue, that values are changing when encoder is wiggled around).

See http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=9672.msg70488#msg70488

As for MBSEQ V3 no new release with the DETENTED3 define is available yet, write 0x82 instead

Best Regards, Thorsten.

thanks tk, i just wanted to know i can continue wiring up the encoders.  the issue where values jump around seems to be better once i put a knob on the encoder (perhaps i wasn't fully turning it and it was responding funny).

i'm sorry i don't know what you mean when you say "write 0x82 instead".  i'm assuming i have to modify the software somehow, but i'm not experienced with this.  perhaps it would be easier for me to ask in the chat and someone can help me through it.

currently i'm just using version 2 anyway because i have an old pic (new one on the way).

thanks tk!

You have to edit the ASM files and reassemble the application to change encoder types. Do a 'find in files' for the string 'ENC_MODE_DETENTED' and you'll see it.

As for MBSEQ V3 no new release with the DETENTED3 define is available yet, write 0x82 instead

That goes for 1.7303 and 1.74685 also, people :)

Edit: and seq 2.4. Wow this is the hot topic in the chat!

Thanks for the page

Using a #define is not the right approach, as it will conflict with the appr. definition in the next MIOS release.

Once this release is available, you only need to copy the migration/mios.h file into the application directory, so that the constant definition is available.

For the latest MBSID V2 beta release, this has already been done.

Thats the reason why I suggested you to write 0x82 instead of using a define, as the change will be compatible with next releases

So - please update the snapshot once the complete mios release is available, or already "fake" it by copying the mios.h of the latest MBSID V2 beta release into the application directory.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

i've put a disclaimer on the page that it only works up to version 1.9f and i'll get some help with properly updating it for the next release.  to be honest i don't entirely understand what this does anyway, but myself and another member in the chat were having similar problems and this fixed it for both of us.  i thought i'd share it with anybody else having the same issues.

i'm not sure i'll feel confident to update the wiki page until i actually perform the fix (or whatever it will be) for the next version of mios, so hopefully someone else can add to or edit what i said.