Pots -> Buttons problem

rogic

Hello,

I needed more buttons than pots for Traktor mb64. I Found a schematics in other thread - can't find it now - simple wiring of buttons to AIN module with a resistor of 10K.

Since I have different pot values, I connected same resistors as pots in a group of 8 to AIN module. There are 7 of them: 2 with 50kOhm and 5 with 10kOhm. All of them are connected correctly.

I tested them and they seem to work ok. But they are not 'precise' as normal buttons (connected to DIN), sometimes they act as I pressed them twice  ???

But that's not the main problem - this is: When I made tests, I clicked on several buttons fast, maybe sometimes 2-3 of them together. After such 'impact', some of buttons stop working at all. There is no pattern - everytime different buttons do not respond anymore. Only help in that case is reset of MB, and everything works fine.

I am wandering if this is a problem of DIN->AIN modification, or I've done something wrong? ???

Hello,

I needed more buttons than pots for Traktor mb64. I Found a schematics in other thread - can't find it now - simple wiring of buttons to AIN module with a resistor of 10K.

Since I have different pot values, I connected same resistors as pots in a group of 8 to AIN module. There are 7 of them: 2 with 50kOhm and 5 with 10kOhm. All of them are connected correctly.

I tested them and they seem to work ok. But they are not 'precise' as normal buttons (connected to DIN), sometimes they act as I pressed them twice  ???

But that's not the main problem - this is: When I made tests, I clicked on several buttons fast, maybe sometimes 2-3 of them together. After such 'impact', some of buttons stop working at all. There is no pattern - everytime different buttons do not respond anymore. Only help in that case is reset of MB, and everything works fine.

I am wandering if this is a problem of DIN->AIN modification, or I've done something wrong? ???

One possibility: As the MB is turned on, measure the voltage at the out of the 7805. Is it really at 5V (or only a little lower?). Because some regulated "Netzteile" (the english word does not come into my mind - that thing, where you get your power from - those 7-10V) are loosing voltage if running at higher currents.

If it is, try higher incoming voltage (mine´s running at 9V and delivering only like 7,8V @ 250 mA).

Could be.

One possibility: As the MB is turned on, measure the voltage at the out of the 7805. Is it really at 5V (or only a little lower?). Because some regulated "Netzteile" (the english word does not come into my mind - that thing, where you get your power from - those 7-10V) are loosing voltage if running at higher currents.

If it is, try higher incoming voltage (mine´s running at 9V and delivering only like 7,8V @ 250 mA).

Could be.

• 3 weeks later...
Than lower the pull-up resistor for the button, than better the result. I would recomment 1k

I replaced all resistors to 1K and still the same problem.

I found a schematics upon I wired resistors (from some old thread):[br]

pot_button.gif[br]

and I connected all 7 of required buttons in following way:[br]

problem.gif[br]

(that was old sketch, all pull-up resistors are now 1K)...

What seems to be the problem here?  ???

Than lower the pull-up resistor for the button, than better the result. I would recomment 1k

I replaced all resistors to 1K and still the same problem.

I found a schematics upon I wired resistors (from some old thread):[br]

pot_button.gif[br]

and I connected all 7 of required buttons in following way:[br]

problem.gif[br]

(that was old sketch, all pull-up resistors are now 1K)...

What seems to be the problem here?  ???

Hm, so the reason is unclear, maybe a wiring problem or a bad soldering? Did you test the same inputs with the pots, just to ensure that they are working ok?

They work ok, that's not the issue. When I turn on MB64, all of them work, but send sometimes more NoteOn messages. After a while (when I intentionally press more of them, just to test), some of them fail to work at all :( No pattern - ones which fail are different every time...

When I restart mb64, every button work, but still sending more messages...

:-/

Hm, so the reason is unclear, maybe a wiring problem or a bad soldering? Did you test the same inputs with the pots, just to ensure that they are working ok?

They work ok, that's not the issue. When I turn on MB64, all of them work, but send sometimes more NoteOn messages. After a while (when I intentionally press more of them, just to test), some of them fail to work at all :( No pattern - ones which fail are different every time...

When I restart mb64, every button work, but still sending more messages...

:-/