Channel Strips for my Tascam US2400

JB872

A while back I was considering making my own Midi Box LC...but I got really lucky and found a used Tascam 2400 for less than what a midi box lc would cost me to build.  The 2400 could be a really awesome controller, but it's missing some key components.  I noticed that someone here built their own meterbridge not too long ago, so I imagine other modifications are possible.

My idea is to add 24 channel strips above the 24 faders, with each channel having 8 encoders and the ability to control vst plugin parameters in Nuendo.  I'm guessing that this could be done with three Midibox 64E modules?  Hopefully with a little help from you pros, I can make this happen.

2400ym7.jpg

eqsectionxl7.jpg

You could. But you'll be pretty much restricting yourself to 24 static channels.

There's no way you could make the 64e follow the tascam in mackie control mode...

Having said that, your channel strips would be useless for plugin control compared to what the tascam can already do.

You really need to emulate the mackie control c4 to be worth your time IMO. Good luck getting the protocol spec out of Mackie!

Oh yeah, Nueno doesn't even support C4....

If it's a bigger channel strip your after. You could just build 1 big channel strip, with 1 64e.

In nuendo, your tascam can run in mackie control mode.

The 64e could be setup as 'generic remote', it's functions set to 'selected'.

As you select a channel on the tascam, your 64e should follow that selected track. Giving you your channel strip.

I knew it , knew this is euphonix shit, i was scratchin my head too . whipity whip , give me a 70's lunchbox over this bollocks any day of the year  :P

Ya, I just used the Euphonix channel strips to quickly show what it is that I'd like to make.  I think they've got it laid out pretty nice and have put some thought into it...so why not try to model mine after that. As for using a 500 series lunchbox for eqing and dynamics...I had one with 4 550As, 2 550Bs, and 2 560B's and sold it since I can get nearly the same results with some of my eq plugins.       

You could. But you'll be pretty much restricting yourself to 24 static channels.

There's no way you could make the 64e follow the tascam in mackie control mode...

Having said that, your channel strips would be useless for plugin control compared to what the tascam can already do.

You really need to emulate the mackie control c4 to be worth your time IMO. Good luck getting the protocol spec out of Mackie!

Oh yeah, Nueno doesn't even support C4....

If it's a bigger channel strip your after. You could just build 1 big channel strip, with 1 64e.

In nuendo, your tascam can run in mackie control mode.

The 64e could be setup as 'generic remote', it's functions set to 'selected'.

As you select a channel on the tascam, your 64e should follow that selected track. Giving you your channel strip.

I wasn't planning on having the channel strips follow the tascam in mackie control mode.  I was planning on using the channel strips more like a BCR 2000, where in Nuendo you can program individual parameters to each encoder.  Would that be possible?

You're optimistic buddy  ;D

Yeh It is possible, but impractical to the max!

No hijacking / flaming please playbo$$. I have a rule - if I need to edit a post that many times I haven't thought it through enough :)

Can you explain further why this is impractical to the max?  I understand that I'm using a lot of encoders, but that's what will give it that real mixing board feel.

Basically this is possible. It depends, what/how Nuendo can control.

Having so many displays for every parameter (like shown in your pic of the Euphonix System5), will propably be the biggest challenge (economical wise ;))

Greets, Roger

A while back I tried out a Behinger BCR 2000 with my 2400 (in MC) and was able to program almost any parameter I wanted to each encoder of the 2000.  I'm wondering if I could do the same with these channel strips. 

So economically, the small displays are going to be the most expensive...but what about all the encoders?  And will this be possible with three Midibox 64E modules?   

what you mean 500 series? API? with 2520 discrete opamp and slew rate? Perhaps you were mixing in the box back then too, and cannot distinguish properly because the Motu24 io was a limiting factor ( = 0.2 usd el cheapo opamps).

To be on topic, I would do this with 19" screen and touchboard. You cant buy this many ledrings... Even if it would be standard Led bar's you should sell half of your gear lol, not to mention front panel .

I wasn't planning on having the channel strips follow the tascam in mackie control mode.  I was planning on using the channel strips more like a BCR 2000, where in Nuendo you can program individual parameters to each encoder.  Would that be possible?

Yes. you can. But it seems a little excessive. In nuendo you can set up banks for a control surface, so theres no need for so many encoders. Remember you've only got 2 hands  ;D. And it seems silly to me to add it to the top of the tascam if it's not really going to be a channel strip

The displays on each encoder would be very difficult. Nuendo would not be able to send the name information to the 64e (only mackie control does this).

Maybe... you could store the name of each CC/channel in the 64e, and use it for the display. But this would be a massive programming task, not to mention very difficult. You'd be better off writting a custom application.

(64e can already display names on the main LCD if you use banksticks).

Even if you did that, you'd need to devise a way to connect so many displays. Perhaps a led matrix?? This will also need a complex custom driver.

An alternate thought.... For the big real desk feel

Perhaps you could break a 64e into sections.

eg. 12 encoders + 12 buttons for eq.

4 encoders + 2 buttons for compression.

# encoders + # buttons for your favourate reverb.

etc....

With 3 x 64e's you should be able to cover a large chunk of your favourate plug-ins

Yes. you can. But it seems a little excessive. In nuendo you can set up banks for a control surface, so theres no need for so many encoders. Remember you've only got 2 hands  ;D. And it seems silly to me to add it to the top of the tascam if it's not really going to be a channel strip

The displays on each encoder would be very difficult. Nuendo would not be able to send the name information to the 64e (only mackie control does this).

Maybe... you could store the name of each CC/channel in the 64e, and use it for the display. But this would be a massive programming task, not to mention very difficult. You'd be better off writting a custom application.

(64e can already display names on the main LCD if you use banksticks).

Even if you did that, you'd need to devise a way to connect so many displays. Perhaps a led matrix?? This will also need a complex custom driver.

An alternate thought.... For the big real desk feel

Perhaps you could break a 64e into sections.

eg. 12 encoders + 12 buttons for eq.

4 encoders + 2 buttons for compression.

# encoders + # buttons for your favourate reverb.

etc....

With 3 x 64e's you should be able to cover a large chunk of your favourate plug-ins

thx Durisian...I appreciate your help.  Will definitely take your advice into consideration.

what you mean 500 series? API? with 2520 discrete opamp and slew rate? Perhaps you were mixing in the box back then too, and cannot distinguish properly because the Motu24 io was a limiting factor ( = 0.2 usd el cheapo opamps).

To be on topic, I would do this with 19" screen and touchboard. You cant buy this many ledrings... Even if it would be standard Led bar's you should sell half of your gear lol, not to mention front panel .

Thx for finally getting on topic. This channel strip thing is just an idea I had (notice I posted it in the design concept forum). Rather than dropping $80K on a Euphonix controller, I thought it might be possible to build one myself.  Most here think it's possible...but impractical.  I'll take their word for it.  Btw, what does a 19" screen and touchboard have to do with Midi anyways?  This forum is called Midbox.org isn't it? 

Btw, what does a 19" screen and touchboard have to do with Midi anyways?  This forum is called Midbox.org isn't it? 

... that does not mean, that a MBHP-Controller is the right solution  ;)

I'm also combining MBHP-Controllers with screens of a MiniATX-board. The Controllers are used for the rotaties and the 10" PC screens for graphics/displays (and the screens/PC get the display information over a Midi-Through... so in this case the screens have to do something with Midi ;)).

Everybody in this forum (also Playbo$$) just wants to help you and give you ideas.

Greets, Roger

... that does not mean, that a MBHP-Controller is the right solution  ;)

I'm also combining MBHP-Controllers with screens of a MiniATX-board. The Controllers are used for the rotaties and the 10" PC screens for graphics/displays (and the screens/PC get the display information over a Midi-Through... so in this case the screens have to do something with Midi ;)).

Everybody in this forum (also Playbo$$) just wants to help you and give you ideas.

Greets, Roger

Roger, is your MBHP controller wit 10" PC screens document somewhere on the site or is this a current project?

... it's my current and never ending project. I hope DAW Host programs still support the MIDI language when it's finished  ;D :P

Greets, Roger

I've got a couple projects like that on the go right now.  Do think you could send me a link to the 10" PC screen you've mentioned?

Do think you could send me a link to the 10" PC screen you've mentioned?

http://www.byho.ch/ishop24/product_info.php/products_id/86

... watch out, this display has an LVDS interface. - You'll need a converter, if your PC has no LVDS interface onboard (which an ATX board normally doesn't have). LVDS is standard for laptops.

Converter:

http://www.byho.ch/ishop24/product_info.php/products_id/291

... I don't know about this one fits, I bought another make.

Inverter for Backlight:

http://www.byho.ch/ishop24/product_info.php/products_id/81

Touchscreens (incl. Controller board):

http://www.byho.ch/ishop24/product_info.php/products_id/325

Greets, Roger