SR messed up with v1.4685??

ris8_allo_zen0

Hi all,

I was wondering if something in the SR chain changed with the 18F4685.

I ask this because while I was going to upgrade my MBSID from v1.7303 to v1.74685, I noticed all my DIN/DOUT configuration is completely messed up (e.g. each button doesn't have its right function anymore). LCD and MIDI still work well. I also tried to implement the ECAN support in the board (simply added the 1k pullup between Rx and Vd), but nothing changed. I also set to zero all the DEFAULT_SRM_* defines to avoid conflicts.

Moreover, when firstly I imported my whole SR configuration into setup_8580.asm, MIOS crashed when i turn a particular encoder.

Now I'm trying to import it piece by piece, but the misconfiguration problem arises by just setting the menu encoders/buttons and I can't figure out why.

The application ain64_din128_dout128_v1_3, which I used to map the pin numbers for each button/encoder, gives the same numbers it did with the '452.

Note than the default SR configuration is useless for me, because I use a custom one (i.e. the menu encoder is at SR#8 pin 0).

Any help?

I'd love to manage to solve this problem before tomorrow in the evening, that's when my SIDs and SEQ will play in "public" (at my friends' house) for the first time :)

Best regards,

Enrico

Did you upgrade to the latest MIOS, which included support for PIC18F4685?

You might want to also try the V2 beta instead, you might be lucky and the problem goes away ;D

Or try merging into setup_tk.asm (which might have something different to setup_8580.asm which makes this problem go away)

Otherwise I'm a bit confused why it should be crashing. The DIN, DOUT and encoder tables should work identically to before, only by referencing a shift register by 16+1, 16+2 etc. will the SRM stuff get used. It should be 100% compatible to the current MB-SID control surface wiring (including any different wirings).

Did you upgrade to the latest MIOS, which included support for PIC18F4685?

Yes, to v1.9f.

You might want to also try the V2 beta instead, you might be lucky and the problem goes away ;D

That's what I hoped :) I did, but nothing new happened...

Or try merging into setup_tk.asm (which might have something different to setup_8580.asm which makes this problem go away)

Done. See above :(

Otherwise I'm a bit confused why it should be crashing. The DIN, DOUT and encoder tables should work identically to before, only by referencing a shift register by 16+1, 16+2 etc. will the SRM stuff get used. It should be 100% compatible to the current MB-SID control surface wiring (including any different wirings).

I tried to edit the button handler routine to only display on the LCD the hex code of the pressed button. The numbers are correct again.

After doing some other experiments, I discovered that only 2 of the 15 encoders work as expected: the data wheel and the Osc Delay. They even work when I change their pin assignment. I see they're the first two in the list... could this mean something?

Best regards,

Enrico

SOLVED!  I have to say such things can happen only to me...

It was all a matter of CR-LF handling by MPASM. I've made the original setup on Linux, but now I'm using Windows. When I copied the entries from a file to another, the MPLAB IDE didn't care about converting Unix- to DOS-style line characters, so the assembler had a file with mixed format. I noticed it while analyzing the listing file. Solution: copy, paste into WordPad (which does a good conversion), then re-copy and paste into the other file.

Now all the inputs work perfectly, but now there's a little strange behaviour in the DOUTs: most LEDs flash "rhythmically" at regular intervals (different than while pressing the mod-matrix buttons) instead of staying on. At the moment I see no correlation between those Leds and their respective number or function... Tried recompiling and re-uploading, it's the same.

???

P.S. I'm using MIOS Studio beta7_5

Best regards,

Enrico

Check the DEFAULT_SRM_CATHODES and DEFAULT_SRM_LEDS_DOUT settings, the overlay all other shift register assignments

DEFAULT_SRM_CATHODES is set to 8, indeed the modulation matrix works perfectly.

DEFAULT_SRM_LEDS_DOUT is set to 0, and I don't know what other value to use because I don't own the Wilba's layout...