Drilling PCB Holes?

Guest Dazzystar

Guest Dazzystar

???

Can someone tell me the best method of drilling holes in a PCB to take IC sockets. I have a hobby drill (no stand!) and would also like to know what type and size of drill bit to use!

Thanks in advance!

Guest Dazzystar

???

Can someone tell me the best method of drilling holes in a PCB to take IC sockets. I have a hobby drill (no stand!) and would also like to know what type and size of drill bit to use!

Thanks in advance!

???

Thanks in advance!

Anything but a carbide bit will dull within a few holes, causing tearout and de-lamination.  The problem with carbide bits is that they are super brittle so they will shatter easily with ANY sideways force.  The carbide chipbreaker routers that I use won't break as easily as a standard bit, but might be hard to find in your area.

On the size you will want a #66 for a standard carbide bit, 1/32" (.0312) if using a router bit.  Harbor Freight tools (retail stores all over the US) often have boxes of "re-sharps" that sometimes include the the bits you are needing at a terrible price <>$10 for the assortment, but at least they are available.

If you need to do more than a few hundred holes dig up one of my old posts about bits from Drill Bit City, they are the cheapest I can find on new and re-sharps.

Please Please wear protective eyewear8), when carbide bits shatter they fling off and embed "bit shrapnel" in everything, including you if your not careful.

Have Fun!

Smash/Tim

???

Thanks in advance!

Anything but a carbide bit will dull within a few holes, causing tearout and de-lamination.  The problem with carbide bits is that they are super brittle so they will shatter easily with ANY sideways force.  The carbide chipbreaker routers that I use won't break as easily as a standard bit, but might be hard to find in your area.

On the size you will want a #66 for a standard carbide bit, 1/32" (.0312) if using a router bit.  Harbor Freight tools (retail stores all over the US) often have boxes of "re-sharps" that sometimes include the the bits you are needing at a terrible price <>$10 for the assortment, but at least they are available.

If you need to do more than a few hundred holes dig up one of my old posts about bits from Drill Bit City, they are the cheapest I can find on new and re-sharps.

Please Please wear protective eyewear8), when carbide bits shatter they fling off and embed "bit shrapnel" in everything, including you if your not careful.

Have Fun!

Smash/Tim