midibox sid 303 design

opkod

I would like to make a midibox sid, with 1 SID, that can work with the midibox sid V2. I want it to fit in a Pactec PT08 and the control panel would be like this one:

MIDIBOX-aSID-303-design-PT0.jpg

I use the mb6582 design to make a quick example of my idea.

Is-it possible to make a midibox sid like this one?

Nice  :D

Where did you get that font for the "MIDIBOX SID 303"?

To answer your question, I can't see any reason why you can't make one like this...

If you're mainly wanting to use this with MB-SID V2 "Bassline" engine, then a SID is only using one oscillator, the menu shows "ACh" with values L, R, LR (for controlling the one oscillator on left, right or both SIDs). You might prefer to label the "Osc" section like this. When in "Bassline" mode, both the Oscillator and Envelope LEDs will show this "ACh" parameter, the buttons will toggle between the values (i.e. you control envelope depth->filter per SID).

Oscillator sync and ring modulation require more than one oscillator and (I think) don't work in Bassline mode because it only uses one oscillator. (I could be wrong, but there is no control over the other oscillators in Bassline mode, each SID is a one-osc "instrument" like a 303). I'm also not too clear on the purposes of the knobs Env Mod and Accent.

The "big feature" of MB-SID V2 is dual SID control from one Core, and while this makes lead patches sound fat, it also gets used elsewhere, like in Bassline mode (as described above) which can have two different sequences running at the same time. Even if you only own one SID, you really should allow for the possibility that you might add another SID later.

Following on from that, the mod matrix is reused in Bassline mode, the buttons select which sequence to play on each SID, the LEDs light up to show the sequence steps... you might not want do use a full 8x8 LED matrix with 16 buttons, but 8 buttons for selecting one of the eight sequences might be useful (or two rows of eight for left and right sequences). You can do this from the menu, but you have to scroll through the sequence number, you can't quickly jump from one to another.

Finally, (and don't take this as criticism, just a warning!) the PT-8 is pretty small... that might be what you want, but unless you use a switch and LED matrix like I did on the MB-6582, you might find squeezing all the DIN and DOUT boards you need (along with PSU section, Core and 1-2 SID modules) a little difficult. The PT-10 will give you more room on the frontpanel and more space inside for the PCBs. (Don't make the mistake I did and try to pack everything into the smallest possible case that could contain it!!!!)