MIDIbox64SEQ/16F V1.00

DriftZ

Hi, I just smashed together my first 'box' (well, the electronics anyway) & its even working ! :)

Many thanks to Sir TK !

I'm running the sequencer & it is absolutely magnificent !

The more I play with it, the more I like it !

But I do have a few questions about it:

The 'mute' buttons & functions...

it seems to run in 'negative mode' ... ?

I mean, notes/steps that are ON have the LED OFF, when you mute the step, the LED goes ON... is this how it is supposed to work or did I connect something wrong somewhere ? & also, can these muted steps be saved ?

More about saving, does it autosave now ? or do I have to copy patterns over itself ? The latter could prevent unintended changes....

I've read something about entering the sysex menu to save the potvalues, I'm not sure how it is atm.

thanks again for these great projects & goodluck to all !

Hi, I just smashed together my first 'box' (well, the electronics anyway) & its even working ! :)

Many thanks to Sir TK !

I'm running the sequencer & it is absolutely magnificent !

The more I play with it, the more I like it !

But I do have a few questions about it:

The 'mute' buttons & functions...

it seems to run in 'negative mode' ... ?

I mean, notes/steps that are ON have the LED OFF, when you mute the step, the LED goes ON... is this how it is supposed to work or did I connect something wrong somewhere ? & also, can these muted steps be saved ?

More about saving, does it autosave now ? or do I have to copy patterns over itself ? The latter could prevent unintended changes....

I've read something about entering the sysex menu to save the potvalues, I'm not sure how it is atm.

thanks again for these great projects & goodluck to all !

Hi DriftZ,

I'm pleased to hear that you've joy with the sequencer. :)

LEDs: it seems that you've connected the LEDs in the wrong direction, therefore the status will be displayed inverted. The shorter pins of the LEDs are the cathodes - they have to be connected to ground. The longer pin (the anode) has to be connected to the appr. DOUT pin

No, mute steps cannot be saved, because normaly it's usefull to mute tracks or steps for all patterns (-> global option)

Saving: the current pattern (all parameters) will be saved automatically when a new pattern is selected or when the sequencer jumps to a new pattern by itself. Additionally the track configuration settings are saved when you leave a menu page. Yes - if you want to ensure that the whole pattern is stored in EEPROM before switching off the box, the best way is to go into the copy submenu and to save the pattern over itself

For the SysEx menu it is planned to send the current pattern to another MB64seq or to MIDI-Ox, or later to an editor. Unfortunately only the SysEx transmit routine is working yet, the receiver has been disabled as I first want to realize it with the MIOS solution. The code will be transfered to the PIC16F project later.

Have fun!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi DriftZ,

I'm pleased to hear that you've joy with the sequencer. :)

LEDs: it seems that you've connected the LEDs in the wrong direction, therefore the status will be displayed inverted. The shorter pins of the LEDs are the cathodes - they have to be connected to ground. The longer pin (the anode) has to be connected to the appr. DOUT pin

No, mute steps cannot be saved, because normaly it's usefull to mute tracks or steps for all patterns (-> global option)

Saving: the current pattern (all parameters) will be saved automatically when a new pattern is selected or when the sequencer jumps to a new pattern by itself. Additionally the track configuration settings are saved when you leave a menu page. Yes - if you want to ensure that the whole pattern is stored in EEPROM before switching off the box, the best way is to go into the copy submenu and to save the pattern over itself

For the SysEx menu it is planned to send the current pattern to another MB64seq or to MIDI-Ox, or later to an editor. Unfortunately only the SysEx transmit routine is working yet, the receiver has been disabled as I first want to realize it with the MIOS solution. The code will be transfered to the PIC16F project later.

Have fun!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hello,

Are you sure that it is the LEDs that are the wrong way around? I think if they were fit the wrong way, they would never light (when anode is tied to ground). I tried holding another LED at the legs of one fitted. In one direction, they work the same, in the other direction, the other one never works.

(my LEDs have equal length legs, but that would not have anything to do with it I guess ;)

But perhaps everything does work as intended, I'll try to illustrate : O=unmuted;*=muted; °=current; N=Not lit; L=Lit;

on LCD:

O°O* OOOO *OOO OO*O

on LEDS:

NLNL NNNN LNNN NNLN

so if I wud press all switches, all LEDs would be lit & I hear nothing :)

But anyway, I don't want to be a nitpicker here, the thing is supercool as it is already, just that I have to be very careful when I turn a knob as it is more or less instantly auto-saved/overwritten, which I think is a bit a pitty because its very easy to mess up some cool pattern you've created before. It does make a great concentration-exercise tho :)

Thanks again & best regards to all

DriftZ

Hello,

Are you sure that it is the LEDs that are the wrong way around? I think if they were fit the wrong way, they would never light (when anode is tied to ground). I tried holding another LED at the legs of one fitted. In one direction, they work the same, in the other direction, the other one never works.

(my LEDs have equal length legs, but that would not have anything to do with it I guess ;)

But perhaps everything does work as intended, I'll try to illustrate : O=unmuted;*=muted; °=current; N=Not lit; L=Lit;

on LCD:

O°O* OOOO *OOO OO*O

on LEDS:

NLNL NNNN LNNN NNLN

so if I wud press all switches, all LEDs would be lit & I hear nothing :)

But anyway, I don't want to be a nitpicker here, the thing is supercool as it is already, just that I have to be very careful when I turn a knob as it is more or less instantly auto-saved/overwritten, which I think is a bit a pitty because its very easy to mess up some cool pattern you've created before. It does make a great concentration-exercise tho :)

Thanks again & best regards to all

DriftZ

heh, dont let my post count fool you - i'm not clued up on electronics at all and have only been able to put my boxes together with the help on this forum (and TK's patience! ;p)...i'd still be twiddling me doepfer pocket control otherwise! :o (which i've since parted with ;p)...

best...

Dan

heh, dont let my post count fool you - i'm not clued up on electronics at all and have only been able to put my boxes together with the help on this forum (and TK's patience! ;p)...i'd still be twiddling me doepfer pocket control otherwise! :o (which i've since parted with ;p)...

best...

Dan

Are you sure that it is the LEDs that are the wrong way around?

oops - yes, I was wrong. Damned, I worked to much with low-active logic yesterday ;-)

I have to be very careful when I turn a knob as it is more or less instantly auto-saved/overwritten, which I think is a bit a pitty because its very easy to mess up some cool pattern you've created before.

you are right. I should improve this. A temporary workaround: the BankStick has a write protection pin which could be used to protect the EEPROM content. Just disconnect pin 7 of the 24256 from ground and connect it via a +10k pull-up to +5V. This prevents MIOS from overwriting. Now you could add a switch between pin 7 and ground to disable the protection. :)

However, a firmware enhancement would be better.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Are you sure that it is the LEDs that are the wrong way around?

oops - yes, I was wrong. Damned, I worked to much with low-active logic yesterday ;-)

I have to be very careful when I turn a knob as it is more or less instantly auto-saved/overwritten, which I think is a bit a pitty because its very easy to mess up some cool pattern you've created before.

you are right. I should improve this. A temporary workaround: the BankStick has a write protection pin which could be used to protect the EEPROM content. Just disconnect pin 7 of the 24256 from ground and connect it via a +10k pull-up to +5V. This prevents MIOS from overwriting. Now you could add a switch between pin 7 and ground to disable the protection. :)

However, a firmware enhancement would be better.

Best Regards, Thorsten.