Mbhp_sid module question

che

Hi,

This is probably a stupid question, since I've never seen this problem on this forum before.

I tried to stuff the SID-board and i came into these problems:  ???

1:

On the parts list there are 3 ceramic cap 470 pF listed, on the SID-board I can only find 1.

Further, is there only 1 ceramic cap 1 nF listed,  on the SID-board I find 4.

What are the correct values, or are those values exchangeable?

2:

Is it possible to take higher voltage for those polarised capacitors?

(Excuse me for my poor English, I'm Dutch)

Greets,

Che

Hi,

This is probably a stupid question, since I've never seen this problem on this forum before.

I tried to stuff the SID-board and i came into these problems:  ???

1:

On the parts list there are 3 ceramic cap 470 pF listed, on the SID-board I can only find 1.

Further, is there only 1 ceramic cap 1 nF listed,  on the SID-board I find 4.

What are the correct values, or are those values exchangeable?

2:

Is it possible to take higher voltage for those polarised capacitors?

(Excuse me for my poor English, I'm Dutch)

Greets,

Che

As i see it the number of three 470pF´s is right if you use the old Sid 6581 chip. If you use the never 8580 sid it´s suggested that you replace the two 470pF that´s listed as C1 & C2 with 6,8nF ones.

As for the 1nF I think there´s a mistake in the parts list. When I bought the stuff for my sid I was one short of these, it seems like the parts list is missing one. How you find four 1nF´s I don´t know I only see two.

Good luck getting this thing to work, it´s brilliant!!!

js

As i see it the number of three 470pF´s is right if you use the old Sid 6581 chip. If you use the never 8580 sid it´s suggested that you replace the two 470pF that´s listed as C1 & C2 with 6,8nF ones.

As for the 1nF I think there´s a mistake in the parts list. When I bought the stuff for my sid I was one short of these, it seems like the parts list is missing one. How you find four 1nF´s I don´t know I only see two.

Good luck getting this thing to work, it´s brilliant!!!

js

Thanx for the reply,

Ok, I found the  470 pf caps on the schematic (C1 and C2), but on the eagle board layout they are valued  1 nf.

I assume that the values on the schematic are the correct ones, So that problem is tackled.

Thanx for the reply,

Ok, I found the  470 pf caps on the schematic (C1 and C2), but on the eagle board layout they are valued  1 nf.

I assume that the values on the schematic are the correct ones, So that problem is tackled.

heh, dont worry about it - i also used 2 x 1nf caps on my first SID box (still workin) i think it just made the filters sound a tad different, i sinced changed them to the recommended ones for the 6580 just in case ;)...

the SID does run hot - that's normal ;p whack a heatsink on if u really wanna, i havnt bothered tho...

best...

Dan

heh, dont worry about it - i also used 2 x 1nf caps on my first SID box (still workin) i think it just made the filters sound a tad different, i sinced changed them to the recommended ones for the 6580 just in case ;)...

the SID does run hot - that's normal ;p whack a heatsink on if u really wanna, i havnt bothered tho...

best...

Dan

I tried with 1 nF ones instead of the 6.8 for my 8085 to test if the filters were better. For me at least that wasn´t better.

I was hoping that the cutoff would be spread a bit more on the slider, but it was almost the other way arround. (i have to move the fader alot to the left before the sound change.)

I was thinking to try above 6.8 if im able to get my hands on them. If I do i´ll keep you posted.

js

I tried with 1 nF ones instead of the 6.8 for my 8085 to test if the filters were better. For me at least that wasn´t better.

I was hoping that the cutoff would be spread a bit more on the slider, but it was almost the other way arround. (i have to move the fader alot to the left before the sound change.)

I was thinking to try above 6.8 if im able to get my hands on them. If I do i´ll keep you posted.

js