N00B questions

Guest Xcen

Guest Xcen

Hi there! Just found the site while doing searches when I decided I needed to build myself a midi controller since the ones available commercially are so expensive...

The site contains a lot of info but I have to admit I am a little lost. Where should I start?

I see most of the users here built a MidiBoxPlus... would it be a good idea for me to start by building this or should I start with the MidiBox16E?

Is there an "easy" solution? I think I read something about some1 shipping Kits... where can I find more info about this?

I'm sorry if I am posting in the wrong section or if the info is already available on the site... just direct me toward the info if you would be so kind :)

Thanks!

Guest Xcen

Hi there! Just found the site while doing searches when I decided I needed to build myself a midi controller since the ones available commercially are so expensive...

The site contains a lot of info but I have to admit I am a little lost. Where should I start?

I see most of the users here built a MidiBoxPlus... would it be a good idea for me to start by building this or should I start with the MidiBox16E?

Is there an "easy" solution? I think I read something about some1 shipping Kits... where can I find more info about this?

I'm sorry if I am posting in the wrong section or if the info is already available on the site... just direct me toward the info if you would be so kind :)

Thanks!

Hi Xcen,

for a beginner it makes sense to start with MIDIbox Plus. This is the easiest solution with a single board, and the performance isn't worse than the modularised MBHP designs, just only the number of pots/faders and buttons is limited. Later you can decide by yourself if you still need more controllers, or if MIDIbox Plus is sufficient for your needs.

The schematic, PCB, partlist etc. can be found under Old Projects->MIDIbox Plus->Design. Premade PCBs are currently provided by Mike (see link at this page), but later also by SmashTV from the US. He plans also to offer kits and to burn PICs, but you have to be very patient before the rollout.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Xcen,

for a beginner it makes sense to start with MIDIbox Plus. This is the easiest solution with a single board, and the performance isn't worse than the modularised MBHP designs, just only the number of pots/faders and buttons is limited. Later you can decide by yourself if you still need more controllers, or if MIDIbox Plus is sufficient for your needs.

The schematic, PCB, partlist etc. can be found under Old Projects->MIDIbox Plus->Design. Premade PCBs are currently provided by Mike (see link at this page), but later also by SmashTV from the US. He plans also to offer kits and to burn PICs, but you have to be very patient before the rollout.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Guest Xcen

Thanks a lot! this is exactly what I needed to know in order to get started.

I'm very enthusiastic over this project, I mainly want to use the controller with audiomulch (www.audiomulch.com)

I will stay tuned and wait for SmashTV's services to be available :)

Thanks again

Guest Xcen

Thanks a lot! this is exactly what I needed to know in order to get started.

I'm very enthusiastic over this project, I mainly want to use the controller with audiomulch (www.audiomulch.com)

I will stay tuned and wait for SmashTV's services to be available :)

Thanks again

Guest Xcen

Maybe one more thing: Which PCB layout should I use?

the options seem to be "Dave" Martin" "Shum" and "new".

I wanted to know if I could refer myself to the part list as well...

TIA!

Guest Xcen

Maybe one more thing: Which PCB layout should I use?

the options seem to be "Dave" Martin" "Shum" and "new".

I wanted to know if I could refer myself to the part list as well...

TIA!

Hi Xcen,

the new layout should be prefered, because it should work without any additional modifications - some months ago I made some minor changes in the circuit to improve the quality, but the PCBs of Dave, Martin and Shum are older and don't come with all these changes (you have to read the documentation to see the differences and required mods...)

Also the partlist is only for the new board design

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox/midibox_plus_orderlist.txt

However, as I wrote: you should prefer the new one ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Xcen,

the new layout should be prefered, because it should work without any additional modifications - some months ago I made some minor changes in the circuit to improve the quality, but the PCBs of Dave, Martin and Shum are older and don't come with all these changes (you have to read the documentation to see the differences and required mods...)

Also the partlist is only for the new board design

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox/midibox_plus_orderlist.txt

However, as I wrote: you should prefer the new one ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.