Advice needed: Should I buy first or do some more research?

banjobater

Hi all. Let me apologise in advance for incorrect terminology and lack of technical knowledge. I am a complete newbie to microcontrollers etc. :-[

I have a project in mind which involves automating a plucked stringed instrument (a banjo).  I want to use a MIDI file (preferably stored locally on a controller) to DO control (via relays) the solenoids used to pluck and press the strings.  (Ultimately I like to use DI's to select and start and pause different MIDI files but that can come later.) The idea is that the control system would enable the MIDI file notes to be played in real time to the tempo defined in the MIDI file. I was initially looking into using a PLC (based on advice from a system integrator / PLC programmer I work with) and then leaned more towards a PDA/laptop/PC linked to a MIDI-to-Parallel Converter like the j-Omega Electronics MTP-8 ( http://www.j-omega.co.uk/mtp8.html ).

Having come across this site and uCApps.de, I am now leaning towards the Midibox hardware platform as I believe the modular design leaves my options open for expanding the project later. I would also prefer to understand the design of the controller rather than take a 'black box' approach. I am a musician and a mech. eng. with some exposure to PLC's and electronics. I believe I can work out the components from the DO's on but find the Midibox side of things daunting.

My question has to do with the best way to learn about Midibox. I learn better in a hands-on environment and generally prefer to have something physical to work with. Would it be easier to learn if I go ahead and buy the components I think I need and try some stuf with LED's connected to the DO's? Or can someone point me to where I can do some basic tutorials so that I buy the right components to begin with? From what I can gather here and on uCApps.de I will (at a minimum) need the Core and DOUT Modules as well as an LCD, some LED's, ribbon cables and IDC sockets.

Which is the best approach:buy now or do more research?

Thanks.

Ciaran

Heya mate welcome aboard. Given your experience and skillset, I would just buy a few kits from smash and get stuck into it.

Maybe you'll want to save a couple bucks on shipping any other parts you need, so maybe hit the wiki or ucapps, figure out what modules you need first, then buy... Otherwise, just get a Core, DIN and DOUT kit, and go for it.

You're most likely going to need to write some code for this of course, which would be in C or PIC ASM.

Hope that helps!

Sounds like a fun project.

If I were doing the same project, I would use a MIDIBox.

The fact that MIOS is already written and stable really makes the project much more reachable.

Something to think about.. MIDI gives a number for each note, but no clue as to which string to fret/pluck.

Obviously many notes have more than one possible fret/string combination.

One possible solution: use a different channel for each string.

OK, so you probably knew that already.. Yes, starting with LEDs on the outputs will let you see what you're doing. Then adding relays will let you drive more current.

In that light, maybe the "Midification" forum would be useful for you to browse.

In any case, have fun!

LyleHaze

Thanks for the advice stryd_one and lylehaze. After doing a bit more reading I believe to start off, I will get away with the DIN, DOUT and CORE kits plus some LED's, 16 core ribbon and spare connectors/pins. Smash don't have any LCD's in stock but from what I read I should be able to pick one up locally. I will need a power supply and some soldering, cutting and crimping tools so I need to do a trip to the local electronics shop anyway.

I don't like the sound of that coding task stryd_one.  :-[ The last time I did any programming was in 1985 on my Sinclair Spectrum.   ;D

You are correct lylehaze one note can be played on more than one string but this it is highly unusual to do so on the instrument (tenor banjo) that I will initially be working on, so to start off it will be one note per fret/string combination. There is more scope for playing the same note on two strings on a 5-string banjo which is part of some future phase of this project  ::). Your comment has given me some ideas though. One of the reasons for this project is to produce sounds on an acoustic instrument that cannot pysically be produced by a person (e.g flat-picking two non-adjacent strings simultaneously without picking the intermediate one). Using different MIDI channels for different music 'parts' will be a great way to display the capabilities of the system.

One quick confirmation/question before I place my order. Would a good starting point be a single CORE module with an PIC ID of 0x00, set up for a common character display LCD and common MIDI baudrate? (i.e. PIC ID of 0000 0000 0000 0000)

It STILL sounds like fun..

Yes, unless you'll be needing multiple MIDI ports (which I don't think you will) then a "standard" core should be fine. LCD would be invaluable, bunch of LED's off the DOUT,

probably mounted in the shape of a neck full of frets, just to visualize the results.Remember each LED gets a resistor.

BUT.. I'm not a MIDIBox expert.. I'm a bit of a newbie myself.

And I am a complete zero when it comes to banjos.

Nothing to fret about though. Just pick your way through the information on this site.

Have Fun,

LyleHaze

want to use a MIDI file (preferably stored locally on a controller) to DO control (via relays) the solenoids used to pluck and press the strings.

Hey, i can help you with the code as well (i have a similar project, search in the forum for "xylophone" ;)

then, maybe you can help me finding suitable solenoids ?  ::)

No worries Bill. I plan to try out lots of solenoids once I get the DOUT module working with LED's. It could be a bit down the track though because from what I gather I have a few hours/days/months of learning, assembly, programming and de-bugging ahead of me. :o :o :o

I've only gone as far as getting my MB module kits & accessories components on order so it make take some time to get to the solenoid trialing stage. I will probably use rotary solenoids with some sort of latching relay for the picking action and a more standard relay/solenoid arrangement for the fret-board action.

Am I correct in saying that to allow proper note resonance you need to get your hammer away from the bar being struck immediately after striking,  irrespective of whether the MIDI note status is still on or not? Or will you just use stacatto MIDI notes to minimise the duration of the output pulse? It might be an idea to use the solenoid to give momentum to a hammer and use a spring or gravity to return the hammer to a rest position away from the xylophone bar immediately after striking. For a good sound do you need the hammer to strike the xylophone bar at right angles like it does in the video?

from what I gather I have a few hours/days/months of learning, assembly, programming and de-bugging ahead of me. :o

Heheheh... Just a quick plug for the chat room if you haven't been there yet... Can be a good place for those kind of long conversations :)

Just don't forget to document what you've learned back here for future reference ;)

Just don't forget to document what you've learned back here for future reference ;)

Will do. I've written a good few Standard Operating Procedures/work instructions over the years for engineering tasks so I'm well used to documenting work. The only problem is that it will be written from a newbie/non electronics literate viewpoint. This would make it good from a newbie reading perspective but it may need some proof-reading for accuracy.  ::)