Roland PG-800 / PG-200

nebula

I have a JX-8P with a PG-800 and a JX-3P with no programmer.

Does anybody know anything about the protocols that these programmers communicate with?  Wouldn't it be cool if we could make a PG-200/800 clone?

From the schematics, the programmers don't look much different from a MIDIbox64: mainly a bunch of muliplexed inputs (via 4051) read by a microcontroller (uPD8048HC-191). 

What's different is that instead of MIDI, they communicate with an externally clocked serial connection.  To revise a MIDIbox to do this, I assume you would probably run the clock line and rx line to a DIN, and the tx line from a DOUT.

PG-800 Schematics

PG-200 (and JX-3P) Schematics

I'm more interested in PG-200 than PG-800 right now, just because I'd like to have a PG-200, but I have no PG-200 that I could scope or otherwise analyze the serial stream on.  I also have no experience in doing this, but I think with a lot of time and love it could be done.  I'd love to hear from anybody who's ever thought of taking this on.

I've got a PG200 and a JX3p which I love.

I did at one point take it apart with a view to cloning the PG, however, it's quite a complex double sided board, so that's a non starter really. You can get kits to improve the MIDI specs of the JX3p, not sure if it enables Sysex command of the parameters, but perhaps that would be worth a look?

A PG-200 "clone" wouldn't need to be an exact copy under the hood. It could be a MIDIbox.

My idea (if I can ever find the time):

(1) Figure out the PG-200 protocol.

(2) Build a PIC-based PG-200 (would be fairly easy once you understand the protocol - it really would be like a MIDIbox without the MIDI.

(3) Hey, that MIDIbox still has MIDI ports available!  Maybe it could be used to send/receive CC/sysex/whatever.  (Unfortunately that doesn't do much for JX-3P users who can't use MIDI and the programmer at the same time without a mod, but it could be of benefit to GR-700 / MKS-30 users).  Hey, maybe we could even stick some LFOs in the programmer, for good measure.

Does anybody know anything about the protocols that these programmers communicate with?  Wouldn't it be cool if we could make a PG-200/800 clone?

Afaik the boxes use custom sysex for transmitting params.. Have you checked out Organix' Midi Expansion Kit? With this upgrade installed you can use any standard midi controller to program your JX3P.. Or better yet, build your own custom Midibox PG to go with the JX ;).

I bought one of these for my JX3P; it was dead easy to install and worked flawlessly all the way until I had to part with the synth. The guy who bought my JX3P hasn't had a single negative word to say about the mod either.

Afaik the boxes use custom sysex for transmitting params..

They communicate using a proprietary protocol over a 6-pin DIN cable. They get their power from the host synth.

Have you checked out Organix' Midi Expansion Kit? With this upgrade installed you can use any standard midi controller to program your JX3P.. Or better yet, build your own custom Midibox PG to go with the JX ;).

I've looked at this, and I think it sounds great but expensive (79 Euro), but might be worthwhile.  After all, a stock JX-3P can't do MIDI and a PG-200 at the same time.

Still, "MIDIbox PG" is exactly what I was thinking of calling a PG-200 / PG-800 clone that actually can communicate over the programmer bus.  I suspect the PG-800 and PG-200 are likely very similar in the way they talk to the synth.

I think, when I eventually get to this project, I'll build a MIDIbox64 first, with the JX parameters hard-coded into it, and have it control a JX-3P with MIDI Expansion Kit.  Phase 2 would then be to create a custom interface via Roland Programmer cable.

I bought one of these for my JX3P; it was dead easy to install and worked flawlessly all the way until I had to part with the synth. The guy who bought my JX3P hasn't had a single negative word to say about the mod either.

Awesome!  Testimonials are always helpful when it comes to deciding about stuff like this.