Making Midibox FM Compatible with FM7 & Yamaha DX Patches.

Smithy

I would just like to know if theres any plans for making the Midibox FM compatible with

the sysEX patches/sound banks of The Yamaha DX range or Native Instruments FM7?

If not, is there anyone working on a program that could convert the registers of these Sysex files, to be compatible with the midibox FM?

Yes i know, its fun to make your own patches but this would be a really great feature to have.

Im a noob when it comes to Midibox FM, so sorry if im wasting peoples time!  ;)

that's not possible - the DX7 is a 6 operator FM synth while the OPL3 only has 4 operators per voice.

Make two patches for two different MBFM then?

Converting the SysEx would be a better option I think. I don't think that anyone made a program for this or we would have heard about it...

However, it might be possible, even if some features are present on one chip and not another... The sound would just be different.

Make two patches for two different MBFM then?

No. Operators are not the same as voices. There is no way to link the signals between the chips - we're talking things happening at the actual FM synthesis level. A 6 operator FM synth can usually emulate a 4 operator one, the other way around is not possible.

If you haven't already, try a bit of googling for some notes on how FM synthesis works.

that's not possible - the DX7 is a 6 operator FM synth while the OPL3 only has 4 operators per voice.

S

Ah! I got confused with the "6 four-operator voices" bit on the MBFM page!

For some reason i read it as 6 operators per voice, with 4 voices.

Cheers for the replies.

• 2 months later...

Some of the DX7 6 operator algorithms could be translated to 4 operator on one channel and 2 operators on another channel.  Not really going to work very well.

I'd say the Yamaha Tx81z would be the better match. It has the same wave shapes as the Opl3.  I've written a yamaha DX7 sysex translator for a VSTi once and it's not that hard.  You will need to download the Sysex data sheets and some example sysex files for the Tx81z and start looking at the sysex file in a Hex editor to get a handle on how they are put together.  Start by doing a few parameters only, the patch name is a good place to start.