V-Pot/ matrix/ LCD alignment

Sasha

I`m in the panel designing phase and having a difficulties to arrange controls.

I didn`t built it yet so cannot test it and figure it out what should be aligned to what.

I centered soft buttons to the screen character segments according to my LCD datasheet, but how V-pots should be aligned to LCD and matrix?

Is the there a way to better organize V-pots with matrix and LCD more precisely and logically?

I am asking this as I don`t want to be forced by breadboard`s 2.54 pitch for positioning. I am always using LCD segments as a reference if something should be related to it (SEQ`s encoders) or center of object (button, LED..)

AFAIK the V-pots don't need to align with LCD segments, since they are not changing a parameter that is at a fixed place on the LCD. Sometimes the V-pots are changing the same parameter on different operators, i.e. V-pot #1 changes Operator 1. See cs_menu_matrix_table.inc in the firmware source code for more info.

You might want to consider dedicated buttons for Instrument/Operator select buttons instead of a mode switching button.

Knowing your past designs, you might prefer a full matrix of 24 illuminated switches, instead of 24 LEDs and 4+6 switches on the edges. That would require firmware changes and obviously a full switch matrix with diodes. Also consider rotating the matrix so it is 4 wide and 6 high, and moving labels around to suit. It's all configurable in the firmware.

However, all suggestions are just guesses on my part, I haven't built an MB-FM yet and still struggle with arranging the layout to look aesthetically pleasing on a PT-10 frontpanel.

Hi Wilba,

I nearly have finished my pt10-mbfm,just waiting for the frontpanel to arrive.

If you like I`ll send you my Schaeffer-files,pm me with your emailadress please.

I go with a 2x40 optrex display,a 4x20 looks a bit strange when scrolling thru the menues.

The interaction of the matrix and the v-pots is great,much better than expected,i don`t miss additional pots. Perhaps tempo(midi)synced lfos like in the sid v2 engine would be nice to have,but that`s another story...

Greetz Brother303

:)

You might want to consider dedicated buttons for Instrument/Operator select buttons instead of a mode switching button.

Yes :)

Knowing your past designs, you might prefer a full matrix of 24 illuminated switches, instead of 24 LEDs and 4+6 switches on the edges. That would require firmware changes and obviously a full switch matrix with diodes. Also consider rotating the matrix so it is 4 wide and 6 high, and moving labels around to suit. It's all configurable in the firmware.

YES, dedicated illuminated buttons would be perfect. Also idea of rotating the matrix could be very good. I`m not framed by pactec panel dimensions so I have much more freedom than you, but it is still not easy task to design ergonomic and nice looking panel. Sometimes I completely change all the positions in the last phase. I must check the firmware to see what customizations I can successfully do, as long as it don`t take programming knowledge. Simple code modifications are OK.  ;)

Thank you very much for your directions. I can`t wait to see your efforts.

@brother303

Would you mind publishing your design here?

Hi,

@Wilba : Thanks for posting this here and,yes,my design was clearly inspired by the 6582mb.  ;)

I took all the panel elements from TKs rackmount-unit and simply matched it to a pt-10. For me it was very important that I had to make no changes on the firmware,that`s not my cup of tea... :P

@nILS : Nice one,really! Do I see a sequencer there at the bottom of your panel? Cooooool!!!

Greetz

Brother303

@Sasha: Hehe, actually the layout is rather old. So it's not really inspired by Wilba's new FM layout and Wilba is not responsible for it either :D

@Brother303: Actually, the buttons on the bottom were just meant to be a tiny keyboard to allow for testing patches and the likes ;-)

@Sasha: Hehe, actually the layout is rather old. So it's not really inspired by Wilba's new FM layout and Wilba is not responsible for it either Cheesy

This is brother303's design, not mine  Grin

I know, but I thought, as wilba is doing that OPL batch, he gave us motivation to design our FM panels. Desoldering OPL chips is probably the main reason why there is so little MBFM synths around compared to MBSID, especially after wilba`s all in one PCB.