from MidiBox SID 1 to 2

leelinn

Hello,

i'm considering to (finally) complete my midibox sid.

I started building the old midibox SID v.1. but  since the features of new version seem to be really interesting i've decided to upgrade my project to version 2.

This is the stuff i have:

2 MBHP_CORE v2 with 2 PIC18F452 burned with old JDM

2 MBHP_SID v2

2 SID 6581

4x20 Blue LCD

MBHP_DINX4

MBHP_DOUTx4

leds, 1 rotary encoder, buttons for minimum control surface

optimized PSU circuit (tnx to Pocketmaster from Swiss for building him for me) + C64 power supply

2 x 24LC256 bankstick

What do i need to upgrade to version 2?

In particular it seems that now it's possible  to connect 2 SIDs to 1 Core directly for STEREO purpose. Since i have 2 CORE modules, what is it best choice for me?

to buy  two new PICs for realizing a separeted multi SID device or going straight to the new STEREO feature?

tnx a lot for big support!!!

lee

Hi Lee,

see this page: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual_up.html

The stereo option is strongly recommented - you will love it! :)

Not only that you can play stereo sounds, it also allows you to play two basslines per core, or 6 drum instruments the same time, or 6 voice polyphonic sounds

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey T.

tnx for reply.

I already knew the link you gave me.

Pls..'cause i'm stupid :) can you check this?:

• 4x 100nF Ceramic Caps (to stuff into my MBHP_SID v2 for power integrity - 1Mhz Osc already removed);

• PIC18F4685 (if i choose the STEREO MODE i need only one of this? or even if in stereo mode i need two COREs for two SIDs? This is obscure to me);

• 1k resistor for the new LCD connection in 4bit mode (...yes..a i need to free 4 connections D0 to D4);

• 1k resistor for CORE  CAN connection;

• new 24LC512;

• 1 1N4148 diode (or 2 assuming that even if in Stereo mode i need 2 COREs)

Stereo mode and bassline: i've heard the samples. GREAT features!!
        (it's also nice the use of matrix screen as eq screen :))) )

tnx a lot for help!

Hi,

your list looks ok to me - don't know which 1k resistor you mean regarding the LCD?

for stereo operation, you need only one core per two SIDs. Of course as you already have the second core module you could also consider adding another two SID modules to have two channels of stereo SID fun :)

S

Hi,

your list looks ok to me - don't know which 1k resistor you mean regarding the LCD?

for stereo operation, you need only one core per two SIDs. Of course as you already have the second core module you could also consider adding another two SID modules to have two channels of stereo SID fun :)

S

the 1k resistor for the lcd is refer to the one reported in the lcd scheamtics.pdf. In the previous version you didn't need to put it ( i did so) 'cause you connected all the pins. Now you have to free pins from D0 to D3.