mbSid stereo outputs: L/mono , R... how to?

sineSurfer

Hi, I'd like to have the outputs of my mbSid stereo to work as mono -with L/R signals present if only the Left output is connected- or stereo - if both outputs are connected, is this possible?

btw. I'm using stereo switched output jacks but not sure how to wire all and if any extra components are needed.

thanks!

this it's interesting to me, since in live perf. i've a mono channel mixer.

i will think about.. but only with stero sw jk i think is not possbile.

one solution, that i use, is a JackMono/JackStero (balanced to unbalanced). but i don't know hwo much this infulence the sound and electronic components.

who can make light on this?  ::)

http://it.kabel-palace.eu/DAP-Jack-mono-Jack-stereo-6mm-3m::149851.html stereo to mono

http://www.falco.be/store/images/dap-69300.jpg thisone for MB-6582, 8sid splitted :o

Hi, I'd like to have the outputs of my mbSid stereo to work as mono -with L/R signals present if only the Left output is connected- or stereo - if both outputs are connected, is this possible?

btw. I'm using stereo switched output jacks but not sure how to wire all and if any extra components are needed.

thanks!

not sure why you need stereo output jacks for mono signals...

but i'll take a crack at it.

you could maybe get away with a passive mix with say 1k resistors and one switching jack.

to do this you would use a switching jack for the right output.

connect each output through a series resistor to the tip of it's corresponding jack.

then connect the switch of the right jack to the tip of the left jack.

this will connect the right signal to the left output if no plug is inserted in the right jack.

note that this needs to be a switching jack: the ones that connect the tip to another tab

when a plug is not there and disconnect it when a plug is inserted. 

don't try to use the ring of a stereo jack.

this will result in a slight attenuation of the signals, how much depends on the input

impedance of the device you connect them to.  so i wouldn't do it this way myself,

but you can try and see if it works for you.

ganchan: those cables work fine the other way around - mono signal to stereo signal but not stereo signal to mono signal as you would be introducing feedback(I guess the resistors on bugfight instructions take care of it)

not sure why you need stereo output jacks for mono signals...

I don't, but I have a bunch of those(neutrik NYS216) and using stereo won't do any damage, plus I have another switch to use ;D

...passive mix...

right, those where the missing words hehe

...this will result in a slight attenuation of the signals...

so that's why all the mixer schematics I found have amps included, right?, to compensate for the attenuation.

hey bugfight, you are becoming my midiBox guru, thanks!

so that's why all the mixer schematics I found have amps included, right?, to compensate for the attenuation.

that and to avoid loading, which has other consequences as well...

i may make an active mixer for my mb-6582, but that's way down on a long todo list.

and will most likely need a dual supply, since i want cv anyways

hey bugfight, you are becoming my midiBox guru, thanks!

ugh no guru me,

see? just a lowly addict

tnx guys! this is what i need :)

i try to explain my poin of 'live' for mono channel.

when i play, with my little rack, at the top of it, there is a mono channels mixer. if i would use the stereo sids in drum mode, with 6 instruments per ex., i need to route the 2 signals on just a mono channel of the mixer. since we use 3 pc and some synths, i can't use 2 cannels mixer for 2sid! if i do i must left out something else.

well, since i'm planning a MB-6582 in the future (hope soon), reading your clean answare, i think i will buy a 4 stereo channel mixer just for it, i don't see any other way.  8)