SEQ3 freeze after 5-15 minutes, ideas?

creatorlars

Well my SEQ3 is done and finally in its case!  I messed up one of the LCDs during assembly and had to wait for a new one to come in.  This has been a laborious project for a beginner like me, but it is working (and working great!)  I am successfully triggering my 808 bass drum and UD-1 drum voice modules via the Gate outs.

Only problem, is after jamming for 5-15 minutes, the machine freezes... all of the panel LEDs stay on, but the LCDs fade out, and the buttons are unresponsive.  If I reset the power, it boots back up with no apparent problems.  This sounds like an easily diagnosable issue for someone who knows what they're doing, but I'm not experienced enough to really know where to start.  The PSU has been working without a hitch so far and everything functions great (the encoders are occasionally a little jittery.)  This problem has only existed since I mounted the panel into the case.  I've checked for consistent ground, but could have messed up a connection somewhere. 

What would be the most likely culprits for a problem like this?  Thanks very much for your advice.  I'll have pics and soundclips up soon for you all.

I've narrowed this down... the freeze doesn't happen until using the AOUT gates for 4-5 minutes.  It'll run for an hour without the Gate outs connected to the modules.  What could be happening here?

did you follow this thread? http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,10368.0.html

if it depends on the CV connections, I would suspect it has something to do with ground loops.

which PSU(s) do you use and how strong is it/are they?

S

I've got a big heatsink on my 7805, but it DOES get very hot, and is pretty cramped, it appears.  Not sure what I could do, but maybe try to squeeze room for a fan?  Doesn't make sense that using the AOUT would push the 5v regulator too hard, right?

I'm using Ray Wilson's +/-12v PSU powered by a 2A 25.5VAC CT transformer. And feeding the 7805 directly from the +12vdc line.  Maybe I should try adding a little board with a 7808 between the two to share the thermal load?

I'll check out that ground loop thread.

I decreased the LCD backlight brightness to minimum and noticed the 7805 heatsink was "warm" as opposed to "burning my finger"... and sure enough, no more freezing, so that seems to have completely resolved the issue.  I'd still like to use the full brightness of the LCDs, though... so maybe I'll put a second regulator small board, and use that just to feed the backlights...

Just had a two hour rehearsal with my band, which has been on hiatus waiting for me to finish up some of our new homemade gear... and the SEQ is great!  Very happy.  I'll post more soon.