A drum patch question over in KVR...

Jidis

I put a post in the KVR sampler forum yesterday about some drum patches I'm trying to make, and some map/velocity/voicing issues:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=205019

There are only a couple replies as of yet, but a bunch of reads. I'm hoping for some input from people who have dealt with an assortment of MIDI gear and drum patches, who may have observed some standards or similarities. I figure there's a bunch of you in here too, so if you can offer any tips there it would be great.

I'll probably decide on something and start loading up patches over the next day or so.

Thanks!

George

Awww i saw drum patch and thought it was a synthesis question, you tricked me!

FWIW my answer is simple: f*** the 'standard' and do what works best for the songs. Yes, there are some standards for EG following what the vdrum kits output, but IMO (and i am an opinionated SOB) that's a mess. The best way, musically speaking but perhaps not practically speaking, will always have to be modified for each individual song. But...not everyone likes to do things the best musical way ;)

my answer is simple: f*** the 'standard' and do what works best for the songs

That's sort of what someone over there mentioned. Said he usually sees the "base" parts like kick/snare/hats in the same (General MIDI) map locations, and everything else might be who knows where. I can deal with that too, I just don't want patches where every time you change one, you have to go skimming through all the note numbers to figure out where everything is. It would be more of a PITA with non-keyboard controllers and drum machines.

Still don't know what approach to take for the multiple snares and kicks that some of those machines had.... and the polyphony thing ...... and the dynamics/velocity thing  ....damn.

George

PS- Some of those old sounds are fascinating. I was building a patch last night with the E-mu Drumulator sounds ( http://www.vintagesynth.com/emu/drumulator.shtml ) Man, that thing had some "grit". 8-bit crunch. The open high hat will make your teeth hurt.

I just don't want patches where every time you change one, you have to go skimming through all the note numbers to figure out where everything is.

That's what txt and ins files are for :) (ins for the PC, txt for you) I keep a printed copy in the CD jacket.

Still don't know what approach to take for the multiple snares and kicks that some of those machines had.... and the polyphony thing ...... and the dynamics/velocity thing  ....damn.

I guess that'll depend on your sampler... Most of my drum samples go into an akai s2000 and it has enough mapping options that I've never had a problem. Hint for ya: Group stuff by octaves too, because most controllers let you jump up/down an octave with a single button push ;)

PS- Some of those old sounds are fascinating. I was building a patch last night with the E-mu Drumulator

Yeh I have a few drumsynths from that era. They don't make em like they used to (unless you count the machinedrum). I sold my drumulator though ;)