Velocity processor

Luigi65

Hi, I really hope this is the right forum for posting this question: I've purchased a cheap master keyboard (Fatar TMK88) which does not allow to set different velocity responses so that when connected to some sound modules (Motif Rack ES) I have to play hard. Moreover it seems to me that the sensitivity of the black keys is different with respect to the one of the white keys. I think it is possbile to build a realtime event processor that modify the "velocity" data in order to have different responses. The question is: how can I do that? What do I need?

Thank you in advance,

Luigi

Welcome aboard Luigi.

May I suggest that you use the search engine? I'm sure this has been discussed before ;)  Anyhow, you can use the C language to write an application that will modify velocity data as it passes from midi in to midi out. The most basic implementation would take just a core module and a couple of hours to write the program, the most complex...well that is up to you ;)

Thank you very much stryd_one for your fast reply. Just a couple of more questions: once I have build the core module, what do I need to program the pic? Additional tools? I've seen that I can upload the program via sysex, but in this case will be it stored in EPROM or do I have to upload the program at every power on?

Thank you in advance,

Luigi

Thank you, greetz, for your reply. I need to do something like the SW tools you have proposed but in HW, to avoid the need for a PC. I don't think I'll have problem to program the PIC (I'm a C/C++ programmer), but I need to know what I need: it seems that the core module is enough, but how can I program the PIC? And what PIC is the most powerful considering that I'd like to add many features such as MIDI channel changer, splitter, etc...

Thank you,

Luigi