questions regarding c64 psu...please help

cyutaeha

these are some noob questions but i seriously am stumped...being almost completely new to electronics.

1. the '' http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_8xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf schematic '' schematic of the c64 psu method has two symbols i don't quite understand: the squares with circles in them labeled 5vdc and 14vdc. what are these exactly? are these certain parts which I can buy or are they supplied in a c64?

i understand that they supply the regulated voltages to the cores but i'm clueless as to what these would look like physically or what they are exactly.

2. the different colored wires in the schematic, do they indicate any other kind of special wire to be used? or are the color codings for organizational purposes?

I don't quite understand the different properties of wire of what kind are available and which kind i need in certain projects. i noticed ribbon wire is used with midibox sid but there are also thicker wires used, like with making connections on protoboard with the c64 psu. i can't find a url that explains this. maybe because it's common knowledge. i really don't know.

if anyone could help me out here i would be forever grateful. the power supply is the main obstacle for me to begin building.

thanks everyone

1. that are only pins (nothing more). You can plug or solder a cable on that.

SL1G.jpg

2. yes the colors are used to distinguish between the cables, but the meaning is simple here: blue (ground), red (5VDC, but only the red wires from PSU!!!), purple (14VDC).