weird lcd message

icam

hi to ya'll!!!

after the troubles i posted under the topic "problem with mb tiny control". i reprogrammed the pics (two of them 18f). and now: NOTHING works!!!  :'(

everytime i programmed them and put them onto one of my core boards (three pieces) and connected one of my two lcd-displays (202a from reichelt) i only get the upper line filled with rectangles... nothing more  ??? ???

the bootstrap-loader is burned correct (verified by ic-prog) and sends his midi-message. even the upload of mios v1.2 works fine (id 0f xx f7) is sent after every block.

what could be the error??? did somebody have the same problem? i checked all topics depending the same error but reprogramming the pics didn't work and the contrast-pot isn't broken too...

hope somebody can help me, PLEASE.

greetz,

icam

Hi Icam,

the PIC is running fine, the LCD will not be initialized. So it must be a wiring error between the PIC and the LCD.

In which way did you attach the LCD to the core module? Are you using an 2-row PCB connector, or did you solder the cables directly to J15?

mbhp_lcd.gif

Best Regards, Thorsten.

it's really weird: i soldered the display just like you've shown in the picture. first i thought there could be  another pin-assignment at this display but the data-sheet shows that it's the same assignment as in the example. i checked the wiring approx. 20-times (for each of the two displays).

there's no cause for that i can imagine. and the very first time i plugged a display to one of the cires all worked well except the mios-upload. and after i re-programmed the pic this weird solid line was displayed.  ??? ??? ???

ok, now i'll go to bed and hopefully tomorrow i'll find the error (don't know where to search anymore but i've got a good feeling... :-/).

thanks,

icam

Sorry Icam if you are reading this thinking its a solution

but i have the same problem.  ???

I have tried a new display but I still get 16 filled rectangles on the lcd

I have checked the wiring and that is Ok

and everything else is doing what it is supposed to

Will be checking this post to see if a solution/suggestion

:-/

Ok, it's time again to check the system status via remote ;-)

Following SysEx messages have to be send with MIDI-Ox one after another. Write down the return values and post them here:

(LCD type, MIDI interface, core frequency)

F0 00 00 7E 40 00 0D 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 F7

(LCD option #1 and #2)

F0 00 00 7E 40 00 0D 02 00 0A 78 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 F7

(LCD timeout state)

F0 00 00 7E 40 00 0D 02 00 0B 12 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 F7

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks for the post Thorsten  ;)

I did some research on the net, it appears the first lcd I bought wasn't compatable !  ::)

The second lcd was compatable, and after wriggling the ribbon cable the display fired up with MIOS 1.2, it appears I had a broken wire somewhere in the cable.

THANK YOU  ;D FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK.

Mark