PSU noob...

faton

• 2 months later...

I just finished my PSU based on northernlightx shematic. I have +5V, +9V, +12V, but -17V at the 7912 output...

Do you think it can be dangerous to connect the OPL3 on +12/-17 V?

Maybe the regulator is dead?

Can't check right now, as they are back home. But, they're the ones Conrad sells in their stores :-) I'll check when I get back home next weekend. Um, if I don't post an update here within the next 10 days, could someone remind me, please?

I've had issues with 7912s as well.  IIRC the problems I was experiencing were with ST's 79xx regulators.  From a bit of Googling, I believe it had something due to them locking up (?) when there was no current draw on the output.  Supposedly it could be fixed by  adding a resistor to ensure a constant current draw during power-on, but that didn't seem to resolve the issue that I was having, either.  Recently I picked up some 7912s from two other sources... and both of those sent me ST units as well.  ARGH.

I think I'm going to be reduced to using a MAX660 or an SI7661, etc. as a voltage inverter for my bipolar supplies.

• 2 weeks later...