noise when plugging MIDI cable on the mbSID MIDI output?

sineSurfer

Hi, just when I thought everything was ok:

After building all the cables for my mbSID and plugging everything together turned on the box just to hear a big fast pulse noise, something like a furious bee :) coming out along with the sids regular sounds.

After a panic attack :-[ and some tests plugging one cable at a time, found the source of the noise to be the MIDI OUT cable, the noise is only present when the cable is plugged, without the MIDI cable the noise goes away.

I disconnected all the CS cables to see if there was the fault, leaving the box basically as the last time I tested it without troubles, nothing wrong it seems.

what should I look for to fix this? a broken wire form the core could do this?

i'll replace that cable from the core to the DIN tomorrow just in case.

thanks!

It's probably related to the MIDI In port of your MIDI interface (of PC or whatever platform you are using). If the middle pin isn't disconnected at the MIDI In side, there is a potential risk for a ground loop, which can result into a 50 (or 60) Hz buzz.

In order to solve this, you could disconnect the ground connection to the middle pin of the MBHP_CORE MIDI OUT port. It doesn't really hurt

Best Regards, Thorsten.