SEQ for kids

spazmatron

Thanks for the compliments!!

It means alot coming from pros like you guys.  I only hope my son likes it as much.  As of right now he really has no idea what its supposed to do.  (I still have much wiring to do!)

I'm still hoping someone can help me out with the dedicated bpm encoder.  I'm sure what T.K. said is the solution, since he wrote the code in the first place.  If anyone can help me put that into place that would be great!

I am also in need of an inexpensive sound module.  If anyone has an old one lying around that they would like to donate, or sell cheap, please let me know.  Even some suggestions that I can search on ebay would help.  I found an Alesis Nanopiano at a local pawn shop, but it can only receive 1 channel at a time.  I was hoping to have each of the 4 tracks set to a different sound.  For now I can always just run it into some softsynths, but I really want it eventually to be an all-in-one box (SEQ, sound source, small amp).  I don't want to have to set up my software everytime my 3 year old wants to jam!

I'll post some more pics when I get the enclosure completed.

striddie: You sure? It's only one month :-) You know how you're projects have a tendency to take > 6 years :-)

[me=nILS Podewski]hides under desk[/me]

LOL You got that right... some disaster always comes along. Fortunately, I have nothing to do with this project, I'm just a spectator/gift buyer  ;)

I'm still hoping someone can help me out with the dedicated bpm encoder.  I'm sure what T.K. said is the solution, since he wrote the code in the first place.  If anyone can help me put that into place that would be great!

I'll do that, just as soon as I get my seq going. See above ;) (this means, don't hold your breath). TK's advice is bang-on, there's not much else to give in the way of instruction, it's just a matter of doing what he said.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't realize how many wire connections a project like this required untill just recently.  I planned on trying really hard to keep it neat.  I have failed miserably.  I guess we have to make a few ugly boxes before we learn how to make that really pretty one.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are instructions somewhere for how to use the ain64_din128_dout128_v2_0.zip app. to figure out my SR and Pin numbers?  I swear I saw it somewhere just the other day, and now I can't find it.  I have the first 16 pins hooked up so far, and I get a number with an * after it for these buttons.  For example "5*" or "15*".

Anyway, I was wondering if there are instructions somewhere for how to use the ain64_din128_dout128_v2_0.zip app. to figure out my SR and Pin numbers?  I swear I saw it somewhere just the other day, and now I can't find it. 

Search wiki for button DIN SR Pin, and youll see:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/changing_din_pins?s=button+number

That's talking about changing the SID source, but the beginning is still valid, and include formula for converting the button number to SR:Pin pairs.

I'll make it real easy on you...

grab a copy of Calcutta, an excellent (although java based) calculator http://home.arcor.de/0xdeadbeef/calcutta.jnlp

(you can download a .jar file for a local install from here http://home.arcor.de/0xdeadbeef/Calcutta.htm )

Paste this line:

function get(evt) { sr = floor( ((evt-1) / 8)) + 1; pin = (evt-1)%8; out = "SR: "+(string)(sr)+ ", Pin: " +(string)(pin)}
Now to get your results just type
get( whatever your event number is )
It'll look like this (only in colour)
function get(evt) { sr = floor( ((evt-1) / 8)) + 1; pin = (evt-1)%8; out = "SR: "+(string)(sr)+ ", Pin: " +(string)(pin)}
        out = <UNDEF VALUE>

get(8)
        out = "SR: 1, Pin: 7"

get(56)
        out = "SR: 7, Pin: 7"

get(58)
        out = "SR: 8, Pin: 1"

Enjoy!

PS that calculator app is rad.