Software Automatic Mouth

sonofdirt

• 4 weeks later...

I used S.A.M. for a few of my own projects back in the 1980's.  I had a lot of fun with it.  Usually I'd sample S.A.M. and play the phrases back via MIDI.  Back then I also had a 4-track cassette deck and a tape sync box, and I did one track where I wanted a lot of S.A.M. speech (way more than my S-330 could accomodate), so I did drop records to tape live from the C64.

I believe SAM worked by toggling the SID output off and on fast enough to produce audio.  I don't think it would be possible to emulate S.A.M. or most other real-time SID applications over MIDI, because MIDI is too slow.

It might be possible to implement some SAM features right on the PIC.  But in some very wise yet unattributed words of wisdom previously stated on this forum, if you're wondering how hard that would be, the answer is most probably "too hard for you".

don't think it would be possible to emulate S.A.M. or most other real-time SID applications over MIDI, because MIDI is too slow.

What? You don't have to stream the on/off to the sid, you just send the pic a sysex command and it does the rest :)

Course.. PIC's don't pack a lot of sample ram. ;) Sure you could look at SRAM but... uhm... speakjet?