call for mic geeks

cimo

;D ;D ;D

the storm is over: i don t really know what happened in my friend s house for it not to work, he said he tried it on a usb sound card and on a mixer desk, but i know now that it didn t work when i got it back cause i plugged it in my linux machine usb soundcard which is an old usb1.1 and can t supply enough juice for the Phantom Power.. anyway, whatever, just a coincidence .. now it works again, hurray for Australia s techs

Simone

Good to hear Simone. :)

Yeah those USB guys vary in their ability to power a condenser. When I was shopping for one, there was one that was notorious for handling 'some' condensers but not others, and caused a few headaches for people that didn't know about it. Can't remember if it was one I "looked at" or one I bought though. ;D  (I've got an Edirol UA-25 which can be bus powered, and a Lexicon Omega)

BTW- Always wanted that Rode, but couldn't justify buying it as I already have an AT4050, plus most of what I track is dynamic oriented. I probably would have one, but those and many of the Chinese bang-for-the buck condensers hadn't come out way back when I got mine. Still might get it later.

George

PS- Artesia's never ripped apart an 88-key weighted keyboard?? I need help! >:( >:( ;D

artesia has a 88 key weighted maudio keystation ..how might dissassembly be of service ? ;)

btw talking of bang for buck mics ..have afew of the behringer b series ones kicking around here ..and they give incredible & very professional results for the money ;)

...record vocals on them in as dry an environment as possible, then add some boost eq in the warmth and presence regions as desired ..add some good quality reverb ..and bang ! ..slick, polished results :)

how might dissassembly be of service ? ;)

Check that "adult service manual" thread in here for details. A Technics I bought has some intermittently "dead" keys and I'm considering going inside it. :o

BTW- I was also thinking about grabbing a cheap pair of Behringer condensers too, but I'll probably fish up some info later to pick some out. I've got an Apex measurement mic I like here for certain overhead and room duties and was going to get a second one for stereo (it's similar to an ECM8000), then I saw that you can get an actual pair of a similar Behringer SDC for about 10 bucks more, some of which have gotten decent reviews as overheads.

Take Care,

George

btw ..totally off topic

..tho i also have the behringer stereo pair ...another cracking little bargain ..tho be aware they are a little over sensitive to bass at close range (afew inches); so close range vocals, 'as is' are the only thing they arent ideal for.

Well, close mic'ing is probably the main thing I wouldn't be getting them for, except maybe HF stuff like an cymbal or hi-hat. They would probably be drum overheads and maybe room mics for recording band practices or a show. With the two USB interfaces I've got now (and laptops) it would be fun to do some clean stereo tracking with gear I didn't care too much about. Catch is, there were a few back when I was reading that stuff. In the back of my head I'm thinking it was a "C1" or something. It sold in a pair with a case.

George

for the large condenser mics:

B2 - the dual diaphragm one:

http://www.behringer.com/B-2PRO/index.cfm?lang=ENG

b1 - Single Diaphragm:

http://www.behringer.com/B-1/index.cfm?lang=ENG

c-2 - the small stereo twin pair mic set, provided with mounting brackets:

http://www.behringer.com/C-2/index.cfm?lang=ENG

all cheap as chips ...and not half bad ;)