encoder and tact switch - matching heights

ultra

has anybody found an encoder and tactile switch solution where they can be mounted to the same pcb and not have to make any height adjustments?  i'm starting on an ableton live control surface with only encoders/switches and i'd like them to all be mounted to the same pcb.

thanks.

TBH mate, I think that's a BAD idea.... It's hard enough to find a good encoder and a good switch, and if you limit your selection by a parameter such as height, you'll really limit your options. Better to choose a good switch and encoder, and build the CS PCB accordingly.

I was about to disagree with stryd_one, but I had to re-read his post a few times to fully understand what he's saying... and how he's sort of not answering the question....

stryd_one is right... try to make your layout look good first (which means finding a good switch+cap option) and then work out how to make it fit, if possible.

ultra's looking for a good match of encoder and switch, maybe that someone else has discovered.

You can find a good combination through varying the gap between panel and PCB and the panel thickness and even "panel mounting" the encoders to the PCB to reduce shaft height above panel.

Ultimately it's the encoders that give the most grief. The nice big 16mm ones from Soundwell, Voti, ALPS etc. are tall, with a bushing and shaft that will stick out quite a bit even with a 10mm gap between PCB and panel.

I've found the following good combos:

10mm gap, 1.5mm panel, ALPS tactile switches 13mm tall (ALPS part SKHHDTA010), 16mm encoders (Soundwell, Voti, etc), "Waldorf" knobs from ALBS.de (that cover the exposed encoder bushings)... (yeah you all know where I used that combo). You could increase the shaft length of the tactile switches and increase panel thickness to compensate, thus less (or no) encoder bushings showing, use smaller knobs like re'an P401

10mm gap, 3mm panel, "x0xb0x"-style switches (e-switch TL1100 tact with ITT PE caps, go look here), 16mm encoders (Soundwell, Voti, etc), Re'an P401 knobs. A thin datawheel knob could mount on an encoder that's "panel mounted" to the PCB. Still a work in progress (my MB-SEQ) but should work.

or... maybe "panel mount" all the encoders to the PCB, use whatever switch/caps you like by adjusting the height of the encoder above the PCB and how far you push on the knobs and/or modify the encoder shaft to suit the knobs.

BTW I'm not planning to use MEC switches but they do have a good range of variable height switches with a common PCB footprint so they're worth looking at in your search for good switches. I found them a bit too clicky though.