48ppq Clock signal questions / problems

Futureman

I'm just wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone here.

My LinnDrum uses 48ppq sync, which is a slight pain.. I've tried a few things to sync it up, but I've never been 100% happy with the result (SBX-10 etc)

How hard is it for the SEQ3 to send out a 48ppq or even 96ppq clock signal while slaved off midi (24ppq)

I'd also want a start/stop signal to go to the Linn so that I don't have to press Stop/Start before I press play on the master sequencer..

Or is this best tackled by a stand alone sort of Core module project?

Much regards

Mike

You can change the clock divider in the BPM menu. By default it's 4 for 24ppqn

If you set it to 2, you get 48 ppqn

With 1 you get 96 ppqn

A start/stop signal is provided as well. The IO pin is specified in the setup_*.asm file

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 1 year later...

Big bump by me..

I  f i n a l y  got around to wiring up the last few things on my sequencer (The DIN Sync)

[it is always the last 2% that takes up 99% of a project]

I tested the DIN sync quickly on a drum machine, and that was all good.

I made a lead that went from 5 pin DIN to 2x Jack plugs (For the Linndrum, one of which is the clock, the other stop/start)

In the BPM screen, I changed the external clock divider from 4 (default) to 2 as the LinnDrum uses 48ppq.

Tested, and was brilliant, the LinnDrum was bang on the money.. I was very happy..

Then while the LinnDrum was playing along, I went to the sequencers record mode, and quickly the LinnDrum started loosing sync.

Am I expecting too much for the SEQ to spit out 48ppq reliably while the SEQ is in record mode?

If so, please don't forget about this in V4. ;]

Kind regards

Mike

- edit - Also happens when notes are being scrolled or moved or generated.

Ok, I just did another quick experiment.

My TR-707, set to DIN Sync, lost sync while the sequencer was in record mode also.

Even with the clock division set to 4 (so that my SEQ was sending out 24ppq) the 707 still lost sync while the SEQ was in record mode.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mike

Is this only an issue with your 707?

Are there any specs for the DIN sync input of this drum sequencer (e.g. required pulse length)?

Btw.: does the same happen if you are using a J5 gate out triggered by a Note Event to clock the 707? The difference: a much longer pulse length.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey TK,

I'll dig out a few other bit's of DIN Sync equipment and try them. (TR-606, TB-303, MC-202, TR-808)

It's just my TR-707 was out, and I figured that as the TR-707 was made by Roland, it would be indicative of all Roland DIN Sync equipment.. I'll try and find the specs of the TR-707's DIN sync.

A while ago, I did use the J5 gate outs to trigger my LinnDrum. I did this but putting in 16th triggers, And setting them all to roll (I can't remember what setting exactly)

I then played with the clock divider until I got my 48ppq.

This also worked fine for a while, Until I did anything serious on the MB-SEQ such as real time record, erase, randomise, scroll etc.. then it lost a fair bit of Sync.. Almost as if a few clock 'ticks' got forgotten about..  (Pretty much exactly the same issue happening when I use the DIN sync out of my MB-SEQ)

I'll make up a Jack-DIN cable, and test the TR-707 using the J5 Gate outs to verify if a longer pulse length helps with the TR-707.

Another thing I could try is to "record" the DIN Sync out of the MB-SEQ as audio, and then play with the MB-SEQ and see if it was dropping any clock 'ticks' ? (Or look at the signal on a scope, but this way we can exchange the info)

As always, Kind regards

Mike