More than 16 rotary encoders.

Guest Schwaiger

Guest Schwaiger

Hi!

I intend to build am midibox to controll traktor 2.0 ...

I already built one a year ago which had only pots ans knobs.

The problem: I want be able to change the value of traktor pot per mouse but also per midi. So the only way to go are rotary encoders.

I already ordered the PCBs for a complete MidiBox64.

So I have got 2 DIN modules.

Thorsten's MidiBox 16E has only got 16 pots. But I would need round about 22. Is there a way to connect a second DIN module and connect some encoder and use the left ports for buttons??

I'm totaly confused about that and didn't find any hints on the board.

I would like to be sure before ordering some expensive encoders.

Regards

Michael Schwaiger

From the MIOS introduction page:

[tt]

One core module, stuffed with a PIC18F452, can handle with:

up to 128 digital inputs

up to 128 digital outputs

up to 64 analog inputs

character and graphical dotmatrix LCDs

BankSticks (IIC EEPROMs)

one MIDI In, one MIDI Out, optionally as to-COM interface

[/tt]

Which means max. 64 encoders (2 digital inputs per encoder) are possible with a MIOS application (18F core).

Look under MIOS downloads, there is a sample application for this.

Hope this helps!

here goes....

you have a controller knob on a soft synth, controlling filter cut-off, for example. you have a project open on your pc, and you have spent ages tweaking a synth to get a sound you like. Now you close it, and start another project. All the knobs are in completely different positions.

Now, you re-open the first one. The cutoff knob is in a completely different spot to the last project. Now you accidentally bump one of the knobs, but you're not sure which one.... the cutoff knob gets bumped, and the knob on screen moves to what the physical knob position, the sound completely changes.... see what a pain this is!!

Soft takeover is great... it prevents this from happening, the on-screen knob will only move when you turn the physical knob just up to, and past the on-screen knob.... I don't know why all audio software dosen't include this as an option!!

well I hope I didn't make that too long for you! (I tend to go off on a massive text mission!! ;))

Guest zomoipotoi
oh yeah... welcome to the forum!!  

Thanks... ;)

to all the users and specials to Thorsten - great!!!

It's a joy to build and use midiboxes. You open a new door to me... great dreams come to my music horizon with the midiboxes and midibox users.

Really great great work.

PS: sorry for the bad english

PS II: my friend Damiano and me have made a MidiBox Plus  ;D, a LFO (extension - now in debuggin :-/) and a Sid  ;D.... beatiful.

I'm glad this topic of soft takover has been raised, as I was just about to ask a question about this, and wasn't sure how to phrase it.

For devices or software that don't have soft takeover, is it possible to write it into the MIOS itself?  This would improve the use of a pot-based MIDIbox with hardware synths.

Another question:  are rotary encoders only useful with software that is written to use them, or can they be used in a MIDIbox that will work with any synth?  I've become confused.

Another question:  are rotary encoders only useful with software that is written to use them, or can they be used in a MIDIbox that will work with any synth?  I've become confused.  

... I don't know about that, sorry

but I do know this... you can save 'setups' on a midibox 64 (snapshot button) and save them to bankstick, then if you had the '64 in snap mode, the values will not change, until you move the knob past the saved position. But this (in my opinion) is still not as nice as an encoder setup (all controls respond instantly, and you don't have to reload a snapshot all the time... it gets tedious!!)(though it is nice to know where your absolute positions are on a real pot!)

So, could someone please clear up the bits I couldn't explain?? (rotary encoder compatability)

Dr Bunsen, have you seen Ian's posts on his bulk encoder order?

.... Steve