is channel 1 otherwise useless when using lc protocol?

ultra

i've been reading up a bit on the logic/mackie control protocol, and it seems most button commands are simply note numbers with a value of 0 or 127 on channel 1.  this would seem to me that channel 1 would become useless for anything but the lc protocol because it would be sending notes to any instrument you have on that channel.  the way i want to organize my control surface would be to use all 16 channels and have each be available for anything.

most of what i want to do can be mapped to ableton live using midi, but certain functions, such as clip/instrument view and session/arrangement view can't be mapped to midi (as far as i know), but are available by using lc.

so basically, do i have to decide between using my form of organization on the control surface (using all 16 channels for anything i want) and using the lc protocol for 2-3 functions that i can't get via midi?

thanks!

I think you're mixing up some stuff here. The Mackie-Protocol IS Midi.

It is nothing else than a implementation of what function is mapped to what command and it tells how a Controller and the Host have to react on certain commands.

Normally you can change the mapping in the host without loosing any features or the way the controller is working.

Greets, Roger

it seems most button commands are simply note numbers with a value of 0 or 127 on channel 1.

i get that it IS midi, i just thought it was strange that note values would be used instead of control change 0 and 127, so that your controls wouldn't be triggering instruments if they were on the same channel.

so the basic answer is "yes", but since i can remap things (i hope), then the answer might be "no".

after looking into it a little more, ableton seems to lock channel 1 from doing anything but mackie protocol specific commands.  i'm seriously considering finding a DIY keyboard module to send the tab, shift+tab, and arrow keys since i'll have a usb mouse in the box anyway.

not allowing you to map to these controls seems to be a pretty big oversight for ableton.

i'm seriously considering finding a DIY keyboard module to send the tab, shift+tab, and arrow keys since i'll have a usb mouse in the box anyway.

http://www.xkeys.com/custom/xkmatrix.php

I have one of those left over, since when I bought it, Sequoia did not support MIDI to Keyboard-Commands. Meanwhile I can map in Sequoia every Keyboard shortcut to a Midi command. If you're interested, I might consider to sell this Xkeys module to you (it's brand new).

Greets, Roger

So, in a word....routing ;D

Edit: I was thinking more about routing channel one only, to a 2nd virtual port in the PC, connecting Live to that, and have your instruments watch the real channel one... But whether you split it at the physical layer or at the channel bytes it's all routing.