SID Problem - No Sound - [solved]

jaydee

Hi.

My Name is Jürgen. I am new to this board (hello everyone) but I am not new to electronics.

I am bulding two SIDs , one with Mike and one with Smash TVs PCBs (KITs).

The Set from Mike is working 100%.

The Core Modul from Smash TV is also working 100%. But the SID Module from Smash doen´t make any sound (except some noise). As I have a working set of the SID so I can say, the SID itself is working (midi & software too), and the Mike SID Module works with Smash Core , Mike SID with Mike Core , but the Smash SID Module with none of the Core Modules. I change the 2 ICs (545?) with working ones , I have the right parts , soldered well. I noticed that MD on Core is SC on SID. I checked this by measuring from Core IC to SID IC. All wire seems to be correct and working. With an oscilloscope I see that clock arrives but the audio out has just DC voltage but no audio. Voltages are correct...

What can I do next?

Cheers

Jürgen

have you tested the SID(s) from the "Mike" PCB's IN the "Smash" PCB's not WITH the "Smash" core or vice versa?  it sounds to me like the SID or SID's you have in the Smash setup may be faulty...  also, with the Smash kits (i don't know about Mike's), you have the choice between 2 different filter capacitor sets depending on the SID you use.  you may have the wrong filter capacitors on the board.  3rd, what preset are you testing them with?  if there is any sort of filter set on the preset and one or both of your SID's have faulty filters, it's most likely not going to make a sound.  Lastly, you may have the wrong voltage running to your SID's OR you may have a problem with your PSU OR your "Optimized PSU" circuit may have shorts/problems...  just a few things to check. ;D

Hi guys,

I checked wiring etc. a dozend times, as I am working D.I.Y. a lot...

As I discribed, I checked all voltages, the SID IS WORKING (alive) and the preset is the same both times. The caps are correct but still no sound. Now I have the display working and I want to go on with my working SID Core Duo. But if one of you has another idea, please let me know. I am going to build this sid on another (self made) pcb to check if the pcb is damaged...

Hi Juergen,

it would be interesting, if the transistor amp stage is working. The mbsid_testtone application provides a special testing feature for this:

In addition, a 1 kHz pulse will be generated on the CS lines to the
two SIDs. This feature allows you to test the output amplifier of the
SID module (unplug SID, connect socket pin #8 with #27)
[/code]

So, after connecting pin #8 with #27, you should hear a 1kHz pulse sound

Best Regards, Thorsten.