MAX5763: 32-Channel, 16-Bit, Voltage-Output DACs with Serial Interface

Peake

http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/4884/t/al

Found it searching for 16-bit compatable, drop-in replacements for the DACs used in the AOUT and AOUT_NG (didn't find any, are there any?).

A boy could dream of the programmers around here becoming interested in a MIDIbox CV with 32 channels of 16-bit resolution. Just saying...  ;D

Unfortunately, it's TINY. 10mm or 12mm footprints, with 64 or so pins. At least shipping costs would be absolutely minimal!!!

What's wrong with the NG? It's brand new, and it's as good as it could be. Chain up 4 of them and you've got 32x12bit. I think you might be wasting your time searching for a better setup.

I have an _NG waiting for the completion of my SeqV3, and I'm in love that it's offered at all. I'm not complaining! (Or am I?)

I didn't know that it could be chained. What I've read states that no MIDIbox projects currently support them in groups, or the X8 S/H board at Smash's site.

"SHX8 Module (expands AOUT Module < 64 CV Outputs) uCApps

(expired, S&H chips are discontinued/obsolete)"

Does turloid also seek the bluest possible skies, here at the fora? Oh yes, I want fries with my order please. Don't take me as ungrateful; MIDIbox projects are an amazing initiative and I'm already addicted to them. Thing is I'm short on cash and am selling my Encore Expressionist to fund MIDIbox projects. I don't remember its resolution but it's very good. I'd like to keep it but that's not possible, hence some discomfort on my part. I hope that it's not souring my posts; let me know if so and I'll keep an eye on that.

The smoothing demo regarding 7-bit CCs still has a bit of zipper; I don't know the smoothing setting that was used, and I'll suppose that adding a cap will further smooth any outputs. I'm mostly interested in using it to output velocity for drum sequencing, mostly, but somewhere along the line wish to use three or more CVs to simultaneously move around my Technosaurus Triple Resonator (and the two other filters in that system) for formant control. To see if I can shape words or syllables. Two filters are enough to do simple formants; Zon Vern Pyles, an excellent sound designer, demonstrated that contrary motion on two filters provide the "ee" through "ahh" vowels.

I spent some time on the Alesis Andromeda design and development team and we ended up using NRPNs for the modulation controllers: Wheels, ribbon, knobs, etc. You can get used to that sort of thing... I can't tell if the AOUTs support NRPNs. I could always use a Pitch Wheel and it's greater resolution as the controller...it's about 4K in each direction, IIRC.

I -AM- asking for fries with my free lunch, aren't I. Sorry gents, I'll keep my "good" ideas to myself and be gratefulfor what is in front of me.

Edit: I've since found the Expressionist to be 16-bit. It has a user-settable LFO that can be introduced into the Note output via modwheel, which is very very nice to have, in addition to the pitch wheel. I see that some MIDIbox projects support NRPNs. Great! I'll hope and pray for future software support of cascaded AOUTs...

Hi,

the MAX's specs read very nice. Soldering TQFP is no real problem. The main problem with this DAC is availability and probably price! Availability - Neither Maxim's page nor findchips.com state any availability, estimated lead time or prices although the respective press release is from 2005! Maxim is known to offer a lot of parts that are not even in production - They're offering them and hope some big company shows interest and orders some 10,000 pieces. Only after such a large order they'll really be produced. I guess the 5763 is one of these "parts". The other thing is guessing a price - knowing that most MAX parts are quite good but also quite expensive (compare e.g. the MAX525...), I guess a 32 channel 16 bit dac with good specs will certainly be above 100 or 150 Euros.

These concerns and also the fact that already 3 different AOUT modules exist make me believe that it's not worth putting more in-depth thoughts into a 5763-based module. (of course you can try to contact Maxim and find out more details :) )

---

About chaining: All available AOUT modules can be chained. Only thing that's missing is software support for that feature.

NRPNs: that's also a pure software question and has nothing to do with the modules' hardware.

S

[Enter Turuloid]

hey, this is very cool..

actually I read @ eetimes that Dallas finally closed some fab lately but this is new part , so it must come from their new fab / line. If it beats the competitors I see no reason why would they discontinue it anytime soon. I think its around 50-60 Usd at most.

I see no reason why would they discontinue it anytime soon. I think its around 50-60 Usd at most.

Hmm you can't discontinue something that has never been mass produced / sold. Do you have any evidence one can actually buy this DAC anywhere in the world or for your price guess?? Can you point us to a place where you can order them in non-industrial quantity? I mean if you can't even buy it at Maxim's online store and they don't specify any leadtime or price tag, I consider this one a classical Vaporware device...

S

The 16-bit AD669AN IC used in the Expressionist is still available from Digikey for 16EU (but you have to buy 13 minimum). This is better than Farnell's 19EU price at 100 quantity.

The only slight problem is that the Note outputs are buffered with LF353s, and there is some kind of transistor buffering each Gate output (all are SMD but the AD chip is through-hole. Voltage distribution may be being accomplished with 4051s. There are likely reasons that this chip wasn't your choice for a simple CV solution :)

Edit: AOUT_NG is also obviously output buffered.

For reference, and I'll be moving along now that I've forced my opinion upon you all-- In the Andromeda, we used four Burr Brown PCM54HP through-hole DIPs. They're $19.00 each at digikey, and can obviously be used in parallel.

Just tossing around some options in case anything sounds interesting.