What is the best chip test tune?/Mp3s with SIDs audio in feature?

Nestle

Second question:

What is the best tune to test sid -chips? I am about to start testing a lot of chips and need some proper tunes that take all the 3 channels + filters on use from the beginning. Also it would be nice to be a game song, as I propably have it somewhere.  :P

As a finishing touch I have thought adding jacks for Audio IN:s to my Midibox SID case, but before I do them, I am more than intrigued to hear how does it function.

If you have anything using it as MP3, I would love to hear it!

Is there a big difference between 8580 and 6581, on audio in?

Thanks,

Nestle

I tried using the audio in once when I was fixing up this C128. Can't really say how the audio quality was because it was using a crappy setup.

I've thought about making a crazy synth that uses some form of FM synth passed through the SID's audio in, which is closer to the intended use of the audio in feature of the sid.

I have tried to imagine what it would be like, but only song I have found was the one by TK with feedback loops, which I don't believe gives enough information for final breakthru ;)

I bought 8 linear 470k pots for the feedbackloops - should have bought stereopots, but maybe this is as good... maybe I need mono adjustment sometime!

Next question:

What is the best tune to test sid -chips? I am about to start testing a lot of chips and need some proper tunes that take all the 3 channels + filters on use from the beginning. Also it would be nice to be a game song, as I propably have it somewhere.  :P

yes, i think that would be wisest... but  ::)

i have sx-64 with non-working keyboard and external sid-socket thats really fun for testing. my midibox rig is pretty all over the place at the moment having all kinds of improvements going on at the same time.

thats why i am after a game, hehhe!

Nestle

I am about to start testing a lot of chips and need some proper tunes that take all the 3 channels + filters on use from the beginning.

What kind of chips are they? It does makes a difference, as some tunes were written for a specific chip.

I have 20+ 6581 of different revisions and also some 8580 chips.

I am planning to pair 3 different revisions of 6581 and one pair of 8580 (or 6582a, if they sound better). Expecially interested of my 6581R4 6581R4AR pair - really hoping that both are in exellent condition! Dunno if there really is difference between AR and plain R4, will see...

I am more interested testing 6581s, because they are all scavenged. These 6582a chips I trust, because I trust you,Wilba  8)

But yeah, I had this demo that asks to use joystick to choose chip-type before starting - just because filters. I can't remember the name unfortunately!  :P

Maybe I just start browsing my 2000+ disks... It is there somewhere!

Also, I finished the midi-inputs for Midibox, so I might use test tune after all. Is there community tune somewhere? If not, maybe I can do it. Any ideas and help about formats and tools are appreciated! Haven't saved music in c64 format before!

I'm interested in a nice demo too that quickly tests all features.  I don't know if a "song" is ideally what should be used for testing purposes. Just a quick cycle through each feature in order, something to easily hear and follow along. I have more than a dozen harvested 6581's to test, so if no one comes up with one before then, I'll do my best to put one together. That me be a while though as I haven't even started to build the midibox sid yet.

*EDIT*

And I just now realized you meant specifically the audio in feature, not the entire chip feature..... regardless, this will be good to have :)

I don't know about which .sid tune tests the filters, but I do know that the opening of Warhawk uses all three oscillators evenly... i.e. there's a sort of delay effect achieved by osc 1 playing a note followed by osc 2 and then osc 3, all with slow release phases. Therefore it would be a quick test to hear if all the oscillators are working and sound the same.

I found this game Rampart! It has intro that asks me to adjust my filter to the position where I can get a certain sound. It is practically a manual filter sweep test!!! Top notch! I tested 20 sids with it and made this table how they functioned. It seemed that resonace and filter differ a bit inside a revision, but the sounds are pretty much the same. This is inside a revision.

Between revisions it was more about HOW deep the filter could go. The most usual turn off was pretty high downpeak, that didn't really do lowpass at all, more like middlepass. Lots of these in R3. Earlier models were really low and murky, without that much exitement at high tones.

Personal favourite was this early 6581 pair that was really deep. Goes well for bassline! Second pair would be R4AR and R4 chips that really gave nice highpass filter sound, while maintaining the deep end. R4AR was better of this pair, but haven't got my hands on second R4AR - this one is from my SX64 and hardly used! Third pair will be 8580R5 pair - they sound crisp, makes a good hi-hat, clap, cymbal filtered soundengine. Propably will do most of the drums with this one. Last pair, dunno... Maybe 6582A pair, maybe something else. Something to use with organ type sound.

Ok, but I will make some 8580 test later, I didn't have newer model, so I couldn't test them yet, just 6581 this far.

But Ramparts! Find one with that tune, together with Star Paws, you soon find all the attributes you want.

See you guys,

Nestle

Thanks for the tip about rampart!

6581 ... really deep. Goes well for bassline!

R4AR and R4 ... nice highpass filter sound, while maintaining the deep end

8580R5 ... crisp, makes a good hi-hat, clap, cymbal filtered soundengine. Propably will do most of the drums with this one.

6582A ... to use with organ type sound.

Well said! I'd probably use a 6581 variant for the organ though...